We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bring in food

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nelson, New Zealand
reviews: 5
Bring in food

I am going to be traveling to Rarotonga this Feb for the first time. I heard that you can bring in vacuum packed meat and packaged products. Is this worth while? Also what fruit will be in season?

Thank you

Karina

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
reviews: 15
1. Re: Bring in food

You can bring it in as part of your checked luggage but I don't know why you would want to. You can get everything you want here at similar prices to NZ. The only meat that is really expensive here is imported ham. There are supermarkets here and Prime Foods offers great prices on fresh meat & poultry.

Auckland
reviews: 12
2. Re: Bring in food

Hi there, if you want to send me a personal msg I'll let you know what we do. We just got back yesterday from 9 days on the island.

Sydney
reviews: 60
3. Re: Bring in food

Hi, are you able to tell me if you can get Soy Milk in Cook Islands?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
reviews: 15
4. Re: Bring in food

Yes you can. It comes in tetrapacs.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
reviews: 70
5. Re: Bring in food

I'm with Msvancouver - why you would want to? You can buy everything there - seems like a lot of work with little return

Regards

Suzi

LA County
reviews: 6
6. Re: Bring in food

I just returned from my Raro trip this week. I'm from the States so I can't

comment on NZ prices, but even with a stronger US dollar I was in a state of sticker shock from the price of basics for two days! I didn't plan to self cater

breakfast-I was at a self catering place-but none of the local places opened till 8AM or later-not good for an early riser!

I wouldn't bring in meats(unless I had a fussy child-then maybe a packet of

processed lunch meat) Mayby a small plastic bottle of mayo. Definately a box of dry cereal. Probably some favorite crackers & well packaged cheese.

And a few single serving bags of US style chips-Doritos/Cheetos/tortilla chips for the occasional desperate snack. The NZ made chips were shockingly high in saturated fat.

The fruits and vegies were of excellant quality and some bargains did exist.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 9
7. Re: Bring in food

Saving a couple of bucks versus a nasty smelling packet of sausages leaking all over your clothes after a missing suitcase turns up on the next flight - why take the risk? Two big supermarkets with a fair choice of mainly NZ brands in Avarua, Wigmores on the south coast and dairies/corner stores/convenience stores/superettes (depends where you are from) and fruit stalls all over the place. Sure you may pay a bit more, but in comparison to what you have paid for your ticket and accommodation - peanuts. And you can get them too!

Edited: 12:59 am, November 18, 2012
8. Re: Bring in food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 20, 2013