We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into Aitutaki from US

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Paul...
reviews: 1
Flying into Aitutaki from US

We have booked at Etu Moana for the end of December and are currently looking at flights. We will be traveling from US (Minneapolis to LAX and out of there).

On New Zealand Air the flight from LAX to RAR is almost $12,000 for the two of us! That will definitely not work!

I did find Air Tahiti from LAX to PPT (Papeete)for less than $3,000 total (2 pax). How do we get from PPT to RAR for a reasonable price? And on which carrier?

The flight from RAR to Aitutaki is about NZD 170 each.

LordBalfor, you have been a huge, encouraging help previously. I hope you and others have good suggestions on what we can expect to pay and where to find decent prices.

Thanks for any and all help!! JDub

Seattle, WA. USA
reviews: 2
1. Re: Flying into Aitutaki from US

JDub -

We booked our flights (next month) on the Air New Zealand website (http://www.airnewzealand.com/default.htm) about 3 months ago and paid $902 USD PP/RT from LAX to RAR (via Papeete).

Last time around (4 years ago) we book through Jetsave (http://www.jetsave.co.ck/) and price then was $889 USD PP/RT.

Out of curiousity I just checked into the price for a trip this coming December (8th -16th) and got a price of $1005 USD PP/RT.

Also did a check for a trip later in the month (22nd - 30th) and got a price of $1119 USD PP/RT.

Try again. You must be doing something wrong. Prices on Air New Zealand should be about what I seeing. A travel agent MAY be able to get you a better price (not sure).

Keep in mind that flights leave LAX 3 nights/week (Fri,Sun and (I think) Wed).

Ken

Saint Paul...
2. Re: Flying into Aitutaki from US

Thank you SO much, Ken. I cannot tell you how much we appreciate your guidance. Also, I just pulled up David Stanley's info on Survivor Aitutaki. Great info! Thanks again,

Jenn

Seattle, WA. USA
3. Re: Flying into Aitutaki from US

FYI -

Thought a bit of clarification on how the flights work may be in order. Our flight leaves Friday night (April 7th) from LAX at 11:45 PM and arrives at Faaa airport in Papeete, Tahiti around 5:40 AM or so. There is a 1 hr 20 min layover in Papeete, then the flight continues on to Rarotonga, arriving around 9 am local time (2 hour flight).

Our return flight leaves Raro late on Saturday evening (just before midnight), again stops at Papeete, then continues on to LAX, arriving in the early afternoon on Sunday.

Ken

Seattle, WA. USA
4. Re: Flying into Aitutaki from US

You're welcome.

Happy trip planning.

Ken

Seattle, WA. USA
5. Re: Flying into Aitutaki from US

PS -

I lived a year a half in eastern North Dakota (TWO winters - 1 in Finley ND, 1 in Hatton ND). December is REAL good time to be leaving your part of the country. I actually credit my fascination with the tropics to the winters I experienced in the upper Midwest.

REALLY appreciated the summers there though - and the people were wonderful (even if everyone does know your business).

Uff Da!

Ken

Saint Paul...
6. Re: Flying into Aitutaki from US

Okay, knowing that you found airfare on there for $1000 or so gives me hope. I have no idea what is going on, but I'm still getting over $5000/ticket.

I'm entering LAX to RAR (entering various dates in December).

And I thought NWA was bad!

Saint Paul...
7. Re: Flying into Aitutaki from US

Oh, you betcha, up d'ere in Nort Dakota and the rest of the upper midwest will surely make you appreciate a winter escape!

You were smart and high-tailed it out of here! You know, Jim and Jo-Anne (at Etu Moana) had the right idea leaving Canadia and setting up shop on an island!

Seattle, WA. USA
8. Re: Flying into Aitutaki from US

JDUb -

Don't knwo why you're getting such high numbers. You are looking at flights on the evenings I mention right (Friday night, Sunday night, or Wednesday (I think) night)?

You may just want to call Air New Zealand and talk to a representative. You should definitely be able to book the flight for the amounts I mention.

Keep us informed. You've really got me curious as to what's going on.

Ken

Saint Paul...
9. Re: Flying into Aitutaki from US

Ken, it's so stange! I'm trying many different dates.

I finally did just (literally 2 minutes ago) spoke with Air New Zealand reservations and they were able to find a flight for $1219/RT PP. We may end up booking on their res. line, but he encouraged me to keep trying the website as well. He was very nice.

I'll post what we end up finding so we can maybe help others out in the future!

Jenn

Seattle, WA. USA
10. Re: Flying into Aitutaki from US

Why don't you try this - clear your web browser's Cookies, Files and History.

Do you know how to do that?

Maybe you're getting the old webpage brought up instead of the new data.

Just a thought.

Ken