We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rarotonga south side house for family with baby and 2 year...

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
harrogate, uk
rarotonga south side house for family with baby and 2 year...

Can anyone recommend something really nice and quiet fro us. Heard there are problems with road noise sometimes. Anyway just want to chill for a bit, really need this holiday. thanks for help antje

Seattle, WA. USA
reviews: 2
1. Re: rarotonga south side house for family with baby and 2 year...

Okay, since no one else has offered anything up, I'll chime in with a few remarks.

Much has been made of the road noise issue. First of all let me say that it's been 3 years since we were on Raro so yes, maybe the traffic has increased dramatically since then.

In all honesty however, I can't see how it's gotten so much busier. For one thing, there are no more flights now coming into Rarotonga (at least not from the States) than there were then - so how can there be that many more people?

Are there more flights now from New Zealand or elsewhere? Maybe. I have to admit I don't know that - and so maybe that's where all the extra visitors are coming from.

Do more of the locals now own cars? Probably, and this MAY account for the additional traffic I've heard about. But let me tell you, the roads (especially along the south shore) were pretty much empty most of the time when we were there, so there would have to be a LOT more locals having cars to significantly increase the traffic volume.

The traffic issue may be partly dependent on what time of year you go. We were there during the "off" season (March/April) so maybe that's why didn't see/hear much traffic.

I have long heard that there is some degree of traffic noise right near the slight bend in the road at the Palm Grove (mostly from trucks applying their brakes) - but I've also heard PLENTY of folks say that they heard nothing.

In any event, I've really only heard about traffic noise being an issue at that one spot. However, the fact does remain that the road runs fairly close to the houses all along the south shore - and this is particularly true for the waterfront places. So, if you are really concerned about it - but still want to be on the south side, consider renting a house not directly on the water - such as Oceanside Villa (cookislandsvillas.com/…)

Ken