We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insects in Rarotonga...

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
france
Insects in Rarotonga...

Travelling with two young children, I was wondering if insects are going to be anoying during our holidays. I heard bad things about being nearby a banana tree plantation. Is that the case. Anyone knows about that ? Any local special treatment that I should get around Avarua before getting down to our location ?

Thank you very much in advance !

Rosebuds

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
reviews: 12
1. Re: Insects in Rarotonga...

just the mosquitoes! Let the ghekos (little lizards) stay in your room as they eat bugs and mosquitoes!!! Plus they are cute....no poisonous snakes or poisonous bugs....

lots of dogs though!

france
2. Re: Insects in Rarotonga...

Thanks a lot Shully.... That reassures us a lot !

Seattle, WA. USA
reviews: 2
3. Re: Insects in Rarotonga...

Well.... that's not entirely true.

While it is true that mozzies are the insect mostly like to cause you grief, there are in fact centipedes in the Cooks - as their are throughout Polynesia, incuding remote Hawaii. These are not exceptionally poisonous (in sense of being deadly) - but you certainly do NOT want to be bit by one - especially a big one. I've read that it's extremely uncomfortable and one writer suggested that the best "treatment" was to get completely drunk for 3 days while the experience passes (PRETTY sure the writer was joking).

In any event they are the only thing you really need watch out for on land - and chances are you will never see one (unless you root around among dead/decaying leaves and such).

There are LARGE spiders - I killed one in one of the rental houses we stayed in whose legs stretched out perhaps as far as my first knuckle (essentially being nearly as large as my hand, though his actualy body was only the size of a nickle). These are not poisonous however - just scary looking.

Ken

PS - Everyone should ALWAYS wear reef shoes (or old tennis shoes, etc) when in the lagoons of the Cooks - both to protect against the SLIGHT chance of stepping on a poisonous stone fish, but much more realistically to prevent coral cuts.

S.F.
reviews: 10
4. Re: Insects in Rarotonga...

LB, I killed the same type of spider the one time I stayed at a cheaper place on Bora Bora. Have seen the same spiders in Fiji and Samoa as well. Shully, so what do you think of the south pacific dog? A pack of them in Rarotonga scared the heck out of me and my brother. One night in Samoa a wild group barked so loud and long that when I finally fell asleep I dreamed I was jet pilot dropping napalm on them! One curr on Bora Bora ruined almost every walk I tried to take on Matira beach in April 85. Rosebuds, don't be scared of what I just wrote. You'll be fine. I don't know if this is still the case but Aitutaki is known for not having any dogs. The natives ate them all back when! Pub

Seattle, WA. USA
reviews: 2
5. Re: Insects in Rarotonga...

Never had any trouble with mean dogs on Raro - though we did see a lot of them, mostly with regular sized bodies and stumpy little legs. Must be because of the limited gene pool.

Still no dogs on Aitutaki as far as I know. Certainly never saw any.

Ken

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
reviews: 12
6. Re: Insects in Rarotonga...

Don't let these guys scare you! Yes there are spiders but most resorts spray for all bugs...........

no dogs in Aitutaki still....

yes yes do wear the reef walkers..........coral has always been my thing to watch out for :)

sunny regards,

shully

Auckland Region...
reviews: 71
7. Re: Insects in Rarotonga...

yes PLEASE protect your feet...i was stupid an dcut my heel on coral......something I hope to never do again!! Think razor blade !!!

france
8. Re: Insects in Rarotonga...

I must say the only bad thing I've noticed here is the amount of broken glass on the beach... We have started to pick them up each time but it's incredible how much there is...

The insects are nasty with any sort of protection you just have to get used to it and NOT scratch. I've been bitten quite severly once though and had to go to the chemist in Avarua who gave me a prescription for pills.....

DO wear some coral shoes, the coral is quite sharp... but the fish are so numerous and great !!! (especially around Fruits of Rarotonga)

Rosebuds

Auckland
reviews: 7
9. Re: Insects in Rarotonga...

Hi

we have just got back from Rarotonga and Aitutaki with our 3 children aged 8,5,2. The mossies were a little bit of a nuisance both day and night, but not dreadful. I would advise you get a can of insect killer to spray your rooms before bedtime, wear insect repellant, and try to cover legs in the mornings and evenings if out. The mossies were not a problem on the beaches. I would also advocate reef shoes - some of the sand is a bit rough with lumps of sharp coral, and also there's a chance of stepping on a stonefish.

Auckland
reviews: 7
10. Re: Insects in Rarotonga...

We stayed by a banana plantation - it wasn't too bad.