We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaimaanga Area - 2 bedroomed accommodation

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Invercargill
reviews: 2
Vaimaanga Area - 2 bedroomed accommodation

Hi There,

I'm heading over to Raro in July of next year with my husband and my Mum. We have several other friends and family staying at the Palm Grove Resort in Vaimaanga. Does anyone know of any resort or private 2 bedroom accommodation within walking distance from the Palm Gtove?

My mum has MS so it would need to be quite close.

Thanks for any advice. - Lisa (Invercargill NZ)

Seattle, WA. USA
1. Re: Vaimaanga Area - 2 bedroomed accommodation

Well, that happens to be the very stretch of beach that I'm most famliar with as we stayed there twice. It's our ABSOLUTE most favorite stretch of beach on the island - 100% perfect in virtually every way.

You may want to check out Tia and Geof Bergin's place - on the Jetsave site it's known as the "Islander on the Beach" (www.jetsave.co.ck/vaimaanga.htm#vaimaanga) while on pke.net it's known as Tia's (http://www.pke.net/rarotonga/tias.html) on both sites it's still listed as a one bedroom, but that info is out of date. Here's a photo of the place with it's old configuration (http://www.pke.net/rarotonga/pic/tiaverbg.jpg) and a photo I took on our last visit there showing the new configuration (…webshots.com/photo/2571423250028665280KCUCRe) as you can see it has a new wing - which I believe contains a second bedroom. Note that the next 2 photos in that particular album ( Rarotonga Resorts and Bungalows (April 2006)) of mine also are of Tia's.

Also note that the Palm Grove has some 2 and 3 bedroom houses on the Palm Grove site itself and one or two more up the road a bit. I took a few shots of those units and you can find them by browsing the album mentioned above - as well as visiting the Palm Grove website.

We have stayed on that stretch of beach twice - once at the Main-Islander on the Beach rental house (next door to Tia's and also owned by Geoff and Tia) and in the Sapphire Villa rental house (too large for your needs) right next door to the Palm Grove (actually situated between the Palm Grove's Beach Bungalow and their Matangi Beach Units.

Ken

Invercargill
2. Re: Vaimaanga Area - 2 bedroomed accommodation

Thanks Ken

You have been very helpful.

We did try to get into Palm Grove but the 2 bedroom unit is fully booked for the 2 weeks that we are staying. We can get the 3 bedroom unit for a week at the 2 room price, but we would then have to get another place for a week.

Your pics of the resorts are great.

Thank you

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
3. Re: Vaimaanga Area - 2 bedroomed accommodation

Tia's is really nice, as Ken said. Is it full too?

We stayed on either side of it. The Main Islander second bedroom was old and not really nice enough to share the house. The master bedroom was what made the house.

The owners were planning on a remodel in 2007, may not have happened though as it is always booked.

In any case, as the Bergin's own both units, you can ask.

Tia's is fully remodeled and purpose built for a vacation rental, very cute, beautiful location.

Invercargill
4. Re: Vaimaanga Area - 2 bedroomed accommodation

I have emailed Tia's to see if the unit is available. I haven't heard back yet. Is Tia's place called Islander on the beach? and is it quite close to Palm Grove? like could you walk down the beach to the Palm Grove Beach units? I'm trying to imagine how close it is.

Thanks - Lisa

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
5. Re: Vaimaanga Area - 2 bedroomed accommodation

Main Islander on the Beach and Tia's are a duplex property -- the original island home and Tia's built for vacation rental. They are VERY close to Palm Grove, just to the east.

Next to Tia's on the Palm Grove side is Tarani's, a studio.

The only downside to the location is that Tia's and Tarani's are right up against each other, and conversation on the lanais does drift over, but it is not really a problem unless the neighbors get loud. It's not normally an area where people make a lot of noise.

Seattle, WA. USA
6. Re: Vaimaanga Area - 2 bedroomed accommodation

Here's a photo I just posted for you:

…webshots.com/460/2/38/71/298623871002866528…

Stretch it out to maximum size to best read the labels.

Distance from Tia's (same thing as the Islander on the Beach - not to be confused with the Main-Islander on the Beach) to the Palm Grove Matangi units is about 150 feet. Distance to the main part of the Palm Grove (restaurant, pool etc) is maybe 350 feet or so.

Hope this helps. Note that there is a stream that runs out directly in front of the Palm Grove beach units.

Ken

Seattle, WA. USA
7. Re: Vaimaanga Area - 2 bedroomed accommodation

Another photo or two.

This is a shot taken by me while standing in the water maybe 100 feet out in the lagoon (waist-deep water). The Main-Islander on the Beach is the white house on the right. Next to it is the much smaller (old version) of Tia's (Islander on the Beach), then the very dark and hard to see Tarani's Beach Bungalow (which was being built at the time) - click on the photo to maximize it to see this structure. To the left of that all the way to the edge of the photo is the location where the Palm Grove Matangi units were later built. Immediately off-camera to the left is the Sapphire Villa rental house, then the stream outflow, then the Palm Grove Beachfront units.

…webshots.com/24/…49711422DqVTyB_fs.jpg

The calm water conditions are pretty typical.

Aerial shot I took back in 2002 showing (from right to left) the Main-Islanderon the Beach, Islander on the Beach (Tia's) and Tarani Beach Bungalow. Palm Grove Matangi units would later be built be in the green belt on the left side of the photo.

…webshots.com/25/…36604912SpHQeu_fs.jpg

Ken

Invercargill
8. Re: Vaimaanga Area - 2 bedroomed accommodation

Hi

Still waiting to hear back from Tia's place. Thanks for the help, I can really undersand where the place is now. Can't wait for July to arrive

Do you know the M & M Batch, across the road from the beach. Is it reasonably close to Palm Grove?

Thanks - Lisa

Seattle, WA. USA
9. Re: Vaimaanga Area - 2 bedroomed accommodation

Afraid I'm unfamiliar with the M & M Batch. From the info on the Rentraro website, it sounds like it's right in the general area (it mentions nearby landmarks) but I think it was built since I was last there.

Maybe someone who has been there more recently can chime in.

Ken

Hamilton New Zealand
10. Re: Vaimaanga Area - 2 bedroomed accommodation

Hi.... My husband and I are going to Raro in May 2008 and are booked into a lovely 2 bedroom apartmeny very close to Palm Grove and it is called Daydreamers Apartments. They look very nice and very affordable.