We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bungalow Help - why do they all have different names??

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NC
reviews: 15
Bungalow Help - why do they all have different names??

My husband and I are going to Rarotonga in July and I'm dismayed that all my first choices are taken. I've done "too much" research and I am totally confused by the different rental sites because they seem like the same place but they have different names! So, please help!

1. Is the Main Islander the same as Lagoonview? Is Tias (Islander) also owned by this nice Geoff guy?

2. Is Bella Beach Bungalows the same as Bella Beach Units?

3. Where exactly is Muri-A-Vai bungalows? Does anyone know them by another name?

4. Muri Beach cottages -- good or not?

Thanks so much! My brain is about to explode with all of this. We just want something quiet, quaint and on the beach.

Karen in NC

Seattle, WA. USA
reviews: 2
1. Re: Bungalow Help - why do they all have different names??

Yeah, pretty confusing isn't it.

1) Yes, "Main-Islander on the Beach" is "Lagoonview". Tia's is the "Islander on the Beach" Geoff Bergin and his wife Tia own both. They are side-by-side next to Tarana's which in turn is next to the Matanga units of the Palm Grove on the south shore.

2) Yes, the Bella Beach Bungalows are the same thing as the Bella Beach Units. They are on the south shore not too far from Sea Change.

3) Based on the info on the following website: http://www.kiikiimotel.co.ck/ Muri-A-Vai is on the west side (not Muri) which I admit is very odd.and confusing, but I can't argue with what their web site says. I'm certainly NOT familiar with those units.

4) I believe the Muri Beach Cottages are maybe 50 yards north of Rumours of Romance, very near where we stayed for our 2nd week on Raro during our 2002 trip. The location is good. Beach is a bit rocky there, but there is good snorkeling once you get out a bit, and there's some great tidepools. Don't know anything about the interiors of the units, View there will be among the best. Took this photo (…webshots.com/photo/2939339280028665280FdugRL) and the next one from almost right next door.

ken

Seattle, WA. USA
2. Re: Bungalow Help - why do they all have different names??

PS Aerial shot showing (from right to left) - Main-Islander, Islander, Tarani's. The vacant lot to the left of Tarani's is now occupied by the Matanga units of the Palm Grove.

…webshots.com/photo/1036604912028665280SpHQeu

My favorite stretch of beach

(sigh)

Ken

Seattle, WA. USA
3. Re: Bungalow Help - why do they all have different names??

PS on #2) Note that there is also the Bella Beach House, which is across the road (not on the beach) from the Bella Beach Units. Not been inside, but it looks a scruffy on the outside. Bella Beach Units look very nice though and are on a very nice stretch of beach. Only drawback is that they are very close to the road so they tend to have some road noise.

On our first trip the road was always pretty dead. On our trip last year, it was still not exactly busy, but certainly not dead anymore.

Ken

Melbourne, Australia
4. Re: Bungalow Help - why do they all have different names??

Hi Karen

I know how you feel - we're going in late June and after a month of looking, listening and occasionally asking, we've finally decided!

Actually our Rarotonga choice was pretty easy but Aitutaki was really tough as I couldn't quite bring myself to pay out for Etu Moana for six nights and for a while there, nothing else seemed to compare

Just out of interest, what were your first choices? Maybe someone knows of something similar: everyone is always so wonderfully helpful with questions

And also by the way - in what way quaint?

Tricia

Sydney
reviews: 1
5. Re: Bungalow Help - why do they all have different names??

Karen,

I have one name for you...................Heliconia Villa.we stayed there last year and it is the best.

You can find it in google or Travalmaxia[I think]

Good Luck.........

Hardtoget

6. Re: Bungalow Help - why do they all have different names??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, August 28, 2009