We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sokala Villas or Kura's Kabanas

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
Sokala Villas or Kura's Kabanas

Can any one advise on a beach front property in Titikaveka or Muri we will be spending 5 nights on Rarotonga in April. We, (me and husband,) would prefer something not on a resort but close to restaurants etc. We have had quotes for Sokala Villas - is there much difference in views from the beach front or Lagoon Villas? Heliconia looks stunning but is $500 a night. Thank you

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
reviews: 12
1. Re: Sokala Villas or Kura's Kabanas

Hi pagann:

I'd be happy to give you my thoughts. I've stayed at Sokala Villas several times and was actually married on the beach there as well. It is a lovely property. The Lagoon Villas are set back just a small distance from the beach. The beach villas are right on the water. There is a difference in regard to the view particularly. Were you thinking of a villa with pool? If not, the one bedroom lagoon views are about 25 yards from the beach with a view from the upstairs bedroom. The beach villa without pool has a stunning beachfront view! The others with pool beachfront are wonderful. The decor used local hardwoods. It is close to the center of Muri Beach where there are several restaurants and a market for snacks etc. The water is shallow out front but it's just a quick stroll to deeper water.

Kuras Kabanas is past Sokala Villas at the end of Muri Beach. Stayed there last time for our last night. The bungalows are nice but a step down from Sokala. The owners are gems. Be sure to request a bungalow close to the water as there are a couple that are close to the road and one that is right next to a private home that is alittle noisy.

Other considerations might be the Rarotonga Beach Bungalows in Titkaveka which is a wonderful property with a beautiful beach and great snorkeling. You'd need to take the little bus to the store but no worries.

sunny regards,

shully

England
2. Re: Sokala Villas or Kura's Kabanas

Thank you Sullly - I will check out the other place too. I must say I can not wait. Could I ask you also, do you have any ideas for places to eat, or must do things to see. Thank you.

England
3. Re: Sokala Villas or Kura's Kabanas

Sorry Shully - my key board was not paying attention and I have spelt your name wrongly above.

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
reviews: 12
4. Re: Sokala Villas or Kura's Kabanas

My pleasure Pagann:

In Muri Beach the nicest place to eat is the Flame Tree. The Sails Restaurant is right on the beach as well and is great for lunch. The Tamarind House is the best restaurant on the island and probably the most expensive. Fantastic location on the beach just outside the main town of Avarua. The owner, Sue Caruthers, is somewhat of a celebrity around the island. She has a fantastic cookbook as well. Her corn fritters are unbelievable as are the fish dishes.

There are many other small restuarants around the island easily found. The Paw Paw Patch is also good, closer to Titikaveka.

No worries getting around, the local bus, which is clean, safe, easy and cheap runs all the time. Cars are easy to rent in Muri Beach and please oh please don't rent a scooter. Too many accidents on these death traps. You can email me at shully123 at hotmail dot com if you need any further info! I'd be happy to help.

sunny regards,

shully

5. Re: Sokala Villas or Kura's Kabanas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, August 21, 2009