We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toursaver coupon book

Which Cooper Landing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rosharon, TX
Toursaver coupon book

Is it really worth spending the $99.95 to buy the coupon book - saving on the excursions I can see that will save a lot but from looking at the postings on the hotels are you really saving that much?

Manitoba, Canada
1. Re: Toursaver coupon book

Hi mustang17, welcome to the forum.

The only one who can determine if the coupon book is worth it, is you. Have a look at the coupons you'd make use of (be sure to note restrictions of times/dates), and if they don't add up to more than about $100, don't bother with the book. Also pone make sure you can still use them at the accommodations/tours, because they have limits about how many they accept.

Have you checked the other coupon book, Northern Lights, to see if it has anything you can use? It's only $50.

Manitoba, Canada
2. Re: Toursaver coupon book

Oops, "pone make" should be "phone to make"

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 24
3. Re: Toursaver coupon book

I bought a Northern Lights book last year but this year I bought a Toursaver. For me it will save me money, but not on hotels. The problem with the hotel coupons is that you force yourself to stay in one place an extra day just to save the money. Anchorage comes to mind (sorry Anchorage residents, but you yourselves say Alaska is only a 1/2 hour drive from Anchorage). Great place to visit and spend some time but usually you can do that with one night at the beginning of your stay and one night at the end of your stay.

Definitely compare the options in the books. This year Toursaver won out mainly because it has a 2-for-1 Denali flightseeing tour from Talkeetna that Northern Lights didn't have.

If you are going later in the season, check EBay to see if anyone is selling a used one.

John

Chugiak, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Alaska
reviews: 12
4. Re: Toursaver coupon book

'The problem with the hotel coupons is that you force yourself to stay in one place an extra day just to save the money.'

This is true, but the toursaver can be a good deal on hotels at Denali if you want to stay as close to the park as possible. Most of us on the forums would suggest staying two nights at Denali, I think, so if you aren't camping and don't want to stay at a B&B in Healy, those coupons can save you some cash.

As stated above, you can easily go through the coupons on the TourSaver.com website and see if there are any that would help. If you have two people traveling together that both want to go on one of the flightseeing tours offered in there, that alone would save you around three times what you pay for the book.

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
5. Re: Toursaver coupon book

I totally agree - that is why I gave Anchorage as an example.

On the other hand, in many places, often the 'two for one' price is still more paying for two nights at another lodging option. The two for one deals are based on the full "rack" rate. Sometimes another hotel or B&B could be cheaper and/or nice, more convenient, etc. But other times the lodging coupons are worth it. I used the Norhern Lights coupon last year for Hotel Seward and got two nights for $60 plus taxes last May. That was a great deal.

But I got a two bedroomsuite in Anchorage last May for $72/night - cheaper than any two for one coupon. Just depends. Research is the key.

John

Bridgewater
reviews: 5
6. Re: Toursaver coupon book

On the other hand, if you schedule to fly out of Anchorage on a late flight, you can use the 2nd night coupon to keep the room up until you leave for your flight. I try for midnight flights so being able to freshen up before the flight is a blessing.

Chugiak, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Alaska
reviews: 12
7. Re: Toursaver coupon book

Oh, yeah, John, I wasn't disagreeing with you at all. Just pointing out where one of the two-for-ones could be a good deal. My folks are saving a little bit using the hotel rather than a B&B. The few that me and my family have stayed in in Healy have been around $180/ night in the summer, so two nights would be pushing $400. The hotel they booked at the park entrance was only $300/night and then they got the second one free, so nearly $100 savings just on that. Research is definitely the key.

'I used the Norhern Lights coupon last year for Hotel Seward and got two nights for $60 plus taxes last May. That was a great deal.'

Wow! You always get the best deals! Hey, would you trade some travel booking for some tasty fresh caught salmon and halibut?> :D

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
8. Re: Toursaver coupon book

>>Wow! You always get the best deals! Hey, would you trade some travel booking for some tasty fresh caught salmon and halibut?> :D

Only if it is cooked :-)

To be fair, my May booking last year was very early May so was still considered "low" season.

And as I say over and over again, my key to great rates is booking up to a year early. Right now I am planning out my 2010 trips so that by this summer I can book the flights using miles 11+ months in advance then start looking right away for car rentals and lodging options. That gives me almost a full year to be looking for deals.

There is no way I could travel as much as I do if I had to pay "sticker price."

John

9. Re: Toursaver coupon book

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:21 pm, October 12, 2009