We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pacific Resort Aitutaki vs Etu Moana: Honeymoon Destination

Which Aitutaki hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Pacific Resort Aitutaki vs Etu Moana: Honeymoon Destination

I am trying to decide where to stay for our honeymoon in April next year and have narrowed it down to 2 places on Aitutaki (still searching through endless options for Rarotonga)

Either the Pacific Resort Aitutaki or Etu Moana, any suggestions?

I know there is a large difference in the cost, is the extra cost at Pacific Resort really worth it or is Etu Moana just as nice? The reviews on both places sound pretty good.

Also are the beaches nearby soft and sandy or reef like? Are restaurants & bars close to both resorts? Also which rooms are the best, I have heard that beachfront rooms are not necessarily the best as you have people walking past all the time to go to the beach.

Appreciate your thoughts on these 2 options?

Thanks

Boise, Idaho
reviews: 1
1. Re: Pacific Resort Aitutaki vs Etu Moana: Honeymoon Destination

Like most things in life.... it depends...

Etu Moana is a cozy, friendly and a smaller place. The hosts are very good at what they do and are willing to give you lots of space and privacy or all the help and advice you want. I think the place has a nice feeling of understated class & quality.

I've never stayed at the Aitutaki PR but from my observations and discussions with people that have, here are my impressions.... It is more of a no-holds-barred luxury resort with a price tag to match. It is one of the largest places on the island.

They are both very nice places to stay and I don't think you'll be disappointed in either of them.

Here's a suggestion that might help:

If you are traveling business or first-class on ANZ to get to Raro, and paying for the tickets, I'd recommend the Pacific Resort. If you are flying tourist or free upgrades to business, I'd say go with the Etu Moana.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
reviews: 68
2. Re: Pacific Resort Aitutaki vs Etu Moana: Honeymoon Destination

Hi Tammie_Brenden

All depends on the sort of Honeymoon you want. Both are walkable to each other and so on the same beach front. I think both are an excellent choice and they both would be in my top 2 for a honeymoon.

I would say the main difference is that Pacific Resort is a resort and offers things like a health spa, activities and also restaurants. Etu Mona has no restaurant but is walkable to Puffy's (fish and chips) or Tamuna which has an island night and general dining. Both are wonderful so really depends on what you want. The great thing about both is they are not far from anything. Rent a little convertible and you can zip around the island.

I would not expect many people to be walking past your beach front - this is Aitutaki! I would definitely go for beach front for my honeymoon. If cost is a consideration - go for Etu Mona if not go for Pacific Resort. With either you get paradise!

Regards

Suzi

Taunton, United...
reviews: 17
3. Re: Pacific Resort Aitutaki vs Etu Moana: Honeymoon Destination

We stayed at Etu Moana for 16 days in Villa 3, which is an absolute beach front villa. We felt totally isolated in the position that this villa is. No other guests bothered us when walking past the villa, as there are huge Palm Trees sheilding the villa. Together with Villa 1, they are fabulous. Nevertheless, all of the villas at Etu are perfectly located. Each giving its own view of either the sea or the fantastic gardens.

For that personal touch, Etu Moana is the one for us. It will not disappoint. Guaranteed!

And remember, you can still use the facilities of The Pacific Resort as well. We had a Spa, went to one of their Island Nights and Buffet Dinner, had a sit down dinner and had our wedding night celebrated their as well. PR will also pick you up and drop you back for free as well if you request it when booking.

Edited: 11:57 am, May 09, 2010
Colorado
reviews: 4
4. Re: Pacific Resort Aitutaki vs Etu Moana: Honeymoon Destination

I just returned from staying at Etu Moana and had a look at the Pacific Resort. I can't imagine that the Pacific Resort has anything that Etu Moana does not that could justify the higher price tag. The Pacific Resort has an elaborate lobby (who cares ?) and a grand pool with a rock waterfall (which you could get at any big box resort) and a restaurant on site, but that's about all they have over Etu Moana.

The Pacific Resort has a large row of one beachfront bungalow after the other, whereas Etu Moana only has 2 absolute beachfronts, both of which stand alone with no one on either side of you. The pool at Etu is perfectly clean and pleasant and the beach is sandy not rocky. And as mentioned, the Pacific Resort is within walking distance to Etu Moana for dinner or anything else you might want to do there. Here's the difference, you can order a beer for $10 at the Pacific or you can grab one yourself out of the honesty bar next to the pool at Etu for $3.

We stayed in Villa 1 and I can't imagine a more wonderful room. Granite countertop in the kitchen, filtered water for drinking, a lovely table and chair with daybed and lounger on the beachfront covered porch and a very nice indoor shower as well as a tropical garden outdoor shower. Sparkling clean floors, air conditioning, tv, dvd player, clean beach towels every day, kayaks, snorkeling gear, lovely continental breakfast next to the pool. I could go on and on, but I've stayed in a premium overwater bungalow in Tahiti and Villa 1 at Etu was every bit as nice.

And the staff is truly beyond belief in providing excellent service. After having been to Aitutaki I can recommend without reservation staying at Etu Moana rather than the Pacific Resort. Use the money you save on the room to rent a scooter, go out to dinner, or take a lagoon cruise. Have a wonderful honeymoon !

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 4
5. Re: Pacific Resort Aitutaki vs Etu Moana: Honeymoon Destination

We stayed at Pacific Resort Aitutaki in April 2010. It was so nice that we did not feel like we even wanted to leave the resort. Trust me when I say this is not the norm for us. Usually we are dining out every night and exploring the island.

We did some exploring but returning to our room at PR was awesome!

The beachfront bungalows (closer on the beach to Etu Moana) are very close to each other and don't offer any privacy from the other bungalows.

We stayed in a beachfront suite (which is further up the beach) and it was so private and secluded that I often walked past our stairway from the beach. You could not even see the stairway to the suite (more like a little villa) from the beach.

Our beachfront suite was so luxurious, it had a rainfall shower by the beach, an outdoor shower off the bathroom in a secluded courtyard, and 2 showers in the bathroom. We could sit on our deck overlooking the lagoon and see no one and no one could see us. There is no way anyone could see us from the beach. The decks have lounge chairs so you can sit up there in complete privacy or sit down on the beach, also in complete privacy.

I should say that on several days I spent many hours walking the beach. One day in 4 hours I saw one other honeymoon couple. It is so quiet.

The PR has 27 rooms/villas and when we were there, there were only 9 occupied and from what I understand, this is not unusual. The servers in the bars/restaurants know your name, know your drink, etc. It is that intimate. When people say a "big resort" it is somewhat misleading because it's still very intimate. Not like an all inclusive resort in Mexico!

The beach at PR is white sand and very soft although not great swimming because there is a lot of coral. Better for snorkelling. That being said, the pool is so fabulous we never got out of it!

We did drive past Etu Moana and it looked very nice from the road. I did not see it any closer than that.

We paid a lot of money for our accommodations at PR in Raro and in Aitutaki. At the end of our vacation we had absolutely no regrets for spending that money.

If budget is an issue, then Etu Moana obviously is a good choice but if you want to be pampered, then try PR Aitutaki.

For Raro, my recommendation is Te Manava - also operated by PR.

I have some photos if you want to PM me.

Sydney, Australia
6. Re: Pacific Resort Aitutaki vs Etu Moana: Honeymoon Destination

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I am going to go with Etu Moana and then use the extra money on activities etc.

Now just to decide for Rarotonga accommodation.

Taunton, United...
7. Re: Pacific Resort Aitutaki vs Etu Moana: Honeymoon Destination

Hi Tammie & Brenden

Glad you have chosen Etu Moana, you will not be disappointed.

To continue with your Honeymoon on Rarotonga, why not do what we did and stay at Sea Change in one of their beachfront Villas. For us, after staying at Etu for 16 days in sheer luxury, we were hesitent that Sea Change would not fulfil our expectations. But it really did. Hayley, my new wife, was brought to tears of emotion when we first stepped into the Villa at Sea Change. It blew us away totally! The location, the seclusion and our hosts were fabulous. It really was an end to what was the most memorable occasion in our lives.

http://www.sea-change-rarotonga.com/

Edited: 6:04 am, May 14, 2010
Sydney, Australia
8. Re: Pacific Resort Aitutaki vs Etu Moana: Honeymoon Destination

Thanks, I will check out Sea Change. Is it best to go to Aitutaki or Rarotonga first, I want to save the best to last?

I guess it will depend on our flight times.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 48
9. Re: Pacific Resort Aitutaki vs Etu Moana: Honeymoon Destination

Totally agree with Black Pearl........Etu Moana is a fabulous choice. Use the extra $$ for dining out at PR, or Cafe Tupuna(excellent) or a lagoon cruise with Cpt. Puna of the Yellow Boat Lagoon Cruise.

Taunton, United...
10. Re: Pacific Resort Aitutaki vs Etu Moana: Honeymoon Destination

For us, Aitutaki was the most adorable place on this Earth. But we wanted to see Rarotonga as well, hence why we stayed at Sea Change for our last 3 days in The Cooks. If this is your first time in The Cooks, then visiting Raro is a must. And as much as we liked Sea Change and Rarotonga, for us, it probably would have been better going to Raro first, then Aitutaki. Etu Moana was so perfect in every way. Also, the weather we had on Aitutaki was perfect, with only one day of rain in the 16 that we was there. Temperatures exceeded 40c on many days. On arrival on Rarotonga, it rained and rained for 2 of the 3 days we was there. So a bit disappointing, but we made the most of it by hiring a car and going on the Raro Safari Tour and eating out at the most fabulous restaurants around the island.

If we are to ever to return, then without a doubt, we will bypass Rarotonga altogether and go straight to Aitutaki.