We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas

Which Moorea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Thunder Bay, Canada
Christmas

My wife and I will be in Moorea for Christmas and bora bora during New Years for our honeymoon. We are assuming everything is closed Christmas Day and New Year's Day. But how about Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. We do have the mandatory dinners but during the day if we wanted to wonder out will places be open?

Also if we rented a car on moorea the 24th does that mean we can keep it till the 26th. Figured it might be a good time to do our own sight seeing

Thanks for the help :)

5 replies to this topic
Washington/ Moorea
Destination Expert
for Papeete, French Polynesia
reviews: 59
1. Re: Christmas

You are correct everything will closed Christmas and New Years days. Some of the smaller grocery stores may be open for several hours very early in the morning. If you can negotiate your way out of the mandatory New Years Eve dinner and have dinner in one of Moorea's restaurants. They have two sittings

with a fixed menu but it's a great way to be with the locals. IMO the mandatory

dinners are a rip-off.

Washington/ Moorea
Destination Expert
for Papeete, French Polynesia
reviews: 59
2. Re: Christmas

Read the "Weight limit on Ferry" post for car rental info

Michigan
reviews: 17
3. Re: Christmas

We went jet-skiing on Christmas day (forgot to bring Santa hats!), so excursions are an option.

While expensive, the Moorea Pearl's Christmas Eve dinner was very nice. Not going out was also relaxing.

We returned home New Year's Eve to a cold smack in the face and an unplowed driveway. Bora Bora never sounded so good.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
reviews: 24
4. Re: Christmas

According to this list of French holidays, both Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve are "observance" days, so you may find most things closed. http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/france/

Thunder Bay, Canada
5. Re: Christmas

Ok thank you for the info!! I will contact sandrine at Avis and see what the deal is for the rental car

Hamara so just to clarify are you suggesting we get out of the Xmas dinner and New Years dinner?. As one is in moorea and the other is bora bora..

Correct me if I am wrong but we booked a honeymoon package and we told the dinners were included in the price. Not sure if they were or we were just charged. If we try and opt out will be refunded the cost as we did already pay trip in full already

Dave

Ps Hamara can you pm me the map of moorea. And if you have one BB as well. Thank you

Reply to: Christmas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted