We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crab Races?

California
reviews: 12
Crab Races?

Silly question but do they still have the crab races at the Hotels? (Moorea Pearl.) Again silly question but it use to be fun in the lobby bar and haven't been in the area in 30 years.

Las Vegas, NV
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Moorea
reviews: 5
1. Re: Crab Races?

So far as I know no they don't. The ones they used to do at Club Bali Hai stopped a few years ago...partly because the guy who would go out to catch the crabs retired...but mostly because they built the golf course on the swampy area between the airport and Maharepa. THAT was the prime crab catching area.

It's too bad, because the crab races were a heck of a lot of fun.

California
2. Re: Crab Races?

LOL Thanks Patti. Yep they were fun and was something to do in the evenings.Like I said I haven't been in the area in a long time but I use to like to throw in my buck or whatever it was and hope for the best with a drink in hand.

Las Vegas, NV
Destination Expert
3. Re: Crab Races?

Rick...they were a blast! Even if you won...you usually had to split the pool 2 or 3 ways...so at best you'd win maybe $5-6...but it was just so darned much fun...and the darn crabs...they'd be trying to crawl out of the track (sometimes succeeding!)...or they'd just sit there and not move at all. I truly miss the fun we had.

California
4. Re: Crab Races?

he he he and lol I remember them crawling over each other trying to get out of the track. You just brought back some memories. Right and the split was only a few dollars but fun is what it was about and like I say a drink in hand.

I forget what Island I was on long time ago they had hermit crab races and you actually had to buy your crab to race. They put them in a bucket turned them ove and the first one out of the circle won. Of course mine always just sat there or ran to the end of the circle then turned around and headed back to the middle.

Las Vegas, NV
Destination Expert
5. Re: Crab Races?

I'm looking around to see if anyone has any old videos or pictures of the crab races. If I find some, I'll post them here.

Las Vegas, NV
Destination Expert
6. Re: Crab Races?

Okay, here's a small clip of the crab races...toward the end of this short video.

www.youtube.com/watch…

7. Re: Crab Races?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, July 21, 2013