We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

opinoins on special from Air Tahiti nui

Which Tahiti hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Port Richey...
reviews: 37
opinoins on special from Air Tahiti nui

Air Tahiti Nui has a special with airfare from LA to Auckland with 3 day layover in Tahiti. They off either 7 days free car rental in Auckland or a stay at one of the following hotels. We want to snorkel while there. What are some opinoins?

Radisson Plaza Resort Tahiti free Parisian breakfast

Two nights at the Moorea Pearl Resort & Spa in a Garden View Room,

one night at the Radisson Plaza Resort Tahiti in a Deluxe Ocean View Room $150 extra

Two nights at the Moorea Pearl Resort & Spa in an Overwater Bungalow, one night at the Radisson Plaza Resort Tahiti in a Deluxe Ocean View Room $300 extra

One night at the InterContinental Tahiti in a Standard Room, two nights at theInterContinental Moorea in an Overwater Bungalow $300 extra

Toronto, Ontario
reviews: 11
1. Re: opinoins on special from Air Tahiti nui

If snorkelling is what you are looking to do, you definitely want to choose one of the hotels on Moorea. I'll let the experts advise on the best hotels there as I've only ever stayed in Pensions on Moorea.

You're going to love Moorea - it's a gorgeous island and the snorkelling is great! :)

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
reviews: 23
2. Re: opinoins on special from Air Tahiti nui

I am familiar with all those properties. For snorkeling, I would choose this option:

One night at the InterContinental Tahiti in a Standard Room, two nights at theInterContinental Moorea in an Overwater Bungalow $300 extra

The snorkeling on the motus right off the IC Moorea is the best on Moorea!

My second choice would be: Two nights at the Moorea Pearl Resort & Spa in an Overwater Bungalow, one night at the Radisson Plaza Resort Tahiti in a Deluxe Ocean View Room $300 extra

The Radisson Tahiti has a gorgeous black sand beach and is a lovely property. The Moorea Pearl is close to shops and restaurants and is also a great property!

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 13
3. Re: opinoins on special from Air Tahiti nui

We just took advantage of the same deal but I am not into snorkeling so much - I am more interested in convenience to ferry, shops and restaurants. I am leaning towards the IC upgrade but the Moorea Pearl Resort and Spa looks great also. Any suggestions? We are just thrilled we are getting three days in Tahiti!

Bowie, Maryland
reviews: 50
4. Re: opinoins on special from Air Tahiti nui

We are looking at this but IC in Tahiti does not have rooms for our dates. Can not move dates because of other plans (meeting a small ship cruise in Wellington NZ on feb. 5,2014). We are booked now at Maneva Resort which is the next hotel/resort down from IC. It looks lovely. Less expensive and can get a kitchenette with fridge and microwave/hot plate and dishes. That means can have our usual small breakfast (and I am already licking my chops for the fresh french bread and butter -- all of it like manna from Heaven!). Perhaps this would do for you. Still might change if IC becomes open and the special is in effect. Don't want to move to Moorea;

Just for your info. For our trip east coast to west coast, it is very much cheaper to fly to LAX and then separate ticket through Air Tahiti Nui to PPT and on to AKL. Try as I could for hours I have not found a way to make a single ticket that isn't very much more expensive. (looking at Air Alaska DCA to LAX). We are going to spend night in LA and get over some jet lag and then take the 3:50 PM flight to PPT the next day. Need lots of "oops time" in the middle of winter. Waiting to see if SWA or Air Tran have a sale :-)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
reviews: 27
5. Re: opinoins on special from Air Tahiti nui

For convenience to shops, the Moorea Pearl wins. There are also quite a few restaurants within walking distance of there, although quite a few will come to your resort and pick you up for dinner. Moorea is not exactly a shopping mecca for souvenir--there are some very nice black pearl shops and a handful of other places but, if you really want to shop, Tahiti would be your best bet (and then I would stay at the IC for the closer proximity to the downtown).

From the Moorea IC, it is about $14 USD/person to transfer to the motu, where there is fantastic snorkeling. There is also some pleasant but not wow snorkeling in the channel between the beach bungalows and the overwater bungalows; there is better snorkeling starting by the "real" overwater bungalows and out to the little coral garden there if you want to brave the boat channel. The Moorea Pearl's overwaters are situated on a drop-off--so there are some nice corals ranging to spectacular (at the furthest end of the overwater pontoon on the right side as you stand on the beach and look out); there are also some very nice corals if you kayak across the deeper blue water in front of the overwaters to the light aqua water.

If you want to snorkel at the Tahiti IC, there is some pleasant snorkeling in their manmade lagoon and some off the overwater bungalows, but it's better to book a snorkel trip through the dive shop. They took us to the plane wreck that is a 1-2 minute boat ride and it was very, very good. Manava had a little snorkeling around their resort--pleasant, but not wow.

Bowie, Maryland
reviews: 50
6. Re: opinoins on special from Air Tahiti nui

Be aware that the Air Tahiti Nui special is PER PERSON ! That is $300 per room extra. Read the reviews here on TA about the Radisson. The 7 day car might work for some but you need to know the provider of the car and you need to make sure you could drop it off somewhere other than AKL for no fee. Surprising for me was that my car insurance does not cover me in New Zealand (in writing from State Farm) so add in the cost of Collision waver and others. Medical costs I read in somewhere are only in NZ and if God forbid you got hurt and needed treatment at home after leaving NZ no bills would be paid. Also in NZ car hires, the law allows the rental company to charge you for loss of service (basically the rental fee until car is fixed or replaced). They will also place a rather sizeable hold on your credit card and if you think you will be nearing your limit on the card with other expenses could be a factor. We are still going to rent but are using Hertz and I will get my Hertz Gold perks of 2nd driver and AAA reduction etc. Need to just know what financial risk you are facing on the "free car".

I checked this fare out well and you can still a discount on the hotels but for me getting the benefits of my loyalty cards (Ambassador and Elite levels at IC) they made sense to book directly. We also tried to book in Tahiti and to reserve a room had to send passport photo page and credit card payment before the room was reserved. I wasn't willing to do that so booking through American online booking site for the hotel.

Not a downer at all but things I learned as I checked this deal out. Have fun -- the snorkeling and beach are wonderful.

Edited: 4:10 pm, July 15, 2013
7. Re: opinoins on special from Air Tahiti nui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Tahiti