We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something Extraordinary in French Polynesia

Which Tahiti hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 2
Something Extraordinary in French Polynesia

Looking for some extra special excursion in French Polynesia. Wanting to know if anyone had a native family take them in a boat around to where they live and cooked for them and showed tourists around. I don't want to book all these excursions through the hotel. Everything is all about glass bottom boats and water-skiing or snorkling. Wanting to meet people who live there and would like to show us the the real deal and make a little money. I would be grateful for any advice.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
reviews: 24
1. Re: Something Extraordinary in French Polynesia

What islands are you visiting?

Los Angeles...
2. Re: Something Extraordinary in French Polynesia

Thank you for your response. Bora Bora.

Los Angeles...
3. Re: Something Extraordinary in French Polynesia

Oh, and Moorea

Norfolk, UK
reviews: 122
4. Re: Something Extraordinary in French Polynesia

I'm not sure these islands will provide what you are looking for - Moorea very doubtful, Bora Bora highly improbable. As has been said many times on this Forum, French Polynesia is not a third world backwater with 'natives.' It is a member of the European Community and has a high standard of living - local families are more likely to invite you into their home to watch Blu-rays or browse the internet on their iPads. They might even show up in LA and ask you to show them how you hunt and forage for food. That kind of life vanished from the main islands of FP years ago. Margaret Mead was years ago and one of the last to see that sort of thing.

If you want to see a traditional way of life in the South Pacific you need to travel to Vanuatu or the Solomons or possibly Samoa and Tonga. Anywhere with a Four Seasons Hotel is a no-no.

Edited: 10:54 am, November 15, 2012
santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
reviews: 12
5. Re: Something Extraordinary in French Polynesia

HI there,

Perhaps you could consider staying at a family run pension on one of the more undeveloped islands such as Huahine.

(pension listings below: you may have to google translate the page into english)

http://www.haere-mai.pf/

sunny regards,

shully

Los Angeles...
6. Re: Something Extraordinary in French Polynesia

Thank you so very much for your time. I guess we will have to appreciate what is in front of us and I think, as I look on the internet, that will be a-okay!

Michigan
reviews: 17
7. Re: Something Extraordinary in French Polynesia

In 1995 we took a 4WD tour of Bora Bora that stopped at the driver's family compound, which unlike most other Bora Bora homes at that time was well inland. We relaxed there for about an hour and had pineapple (the best I've ever eaten) and other fruits from their garden. While it didn't provide the perspective you're seeking, it was a nice, homey break from the (by necessity?) touristy scene that is so much a part of FP and other islands for visitors.

All that said, I wonder if a religious group might be able to connect you with a family on BOB or MOZ to spend some time with and get a feel for what their lives are like. Maybe mix in some community service? A place doesn't need to be "third world" for that, does it?

detroit
8. Re: Something Extraordinary in French Polynesia

I would Defn go to an island like huahine or raiatea. We were there in 2010 and tryed to take a river trip up the only navigable river in Fp. We chose the wrong fork and my son fell overboard off our dinghy and hurt his hand badly. Anyway, some nice young man lead us up the river and took us on a hike for hours. It was great- taking us to his home and neighbors home. He wanted nothing in return. That was one of my best memories of fp (minus the horrid cut that should have had stitches)

Los Angeles...
9. Re: Something Extraordinary in French Polynesia

Thank you so very much. I am so grateful!

Palmerston North...
reviews: 3
10. Re: Something Extraordinary in French Polynesia

I went to Tahiti with no set plans for excursions or any particular activities planned each day - I grabbed a whole lot of brochures & maps to take with me, and picked accommodation that had free use of snorkling gear and bikes and planned to make my own fun. I met so many wonderful, genuinely nice locals who were happy to take you to (or at least point you in the right direction of) something great to do and I ended up having such interesting experiences - great fresh food cooked for me, and visiting places tourists didn't 'usually' go. I'm not sure what I did to grant such hospitality from the people, but I think a positive, friendly attitude and picking some lower-budget accom. (like someone said, family-owned pensions) goes very far! Not many like such a improvised way of travel as I did, but I hope this helps a little bit :)