We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8+ hrs at PPT

Which Tahiti hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
reviews: 26
8+ hrs at PPT

We have a layover for 8.5 hrs in PPT. Is there anything we can do nearby? Beach, or museum, or take a cab somehwere? I read there is an airport shuttle, is it reliable and can we take it to town?

Houston, TX
1. Re: 8+ hrs at PPT

Also I did notice another thread about waiting at airports for 5 hrs, but that thread is for LAX not PPT (even though it was posted in the PPT forum).

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 11
2. Re: 8+ hrs at PPT

Hi Michelle - What time of day? Makes a big difference. If you layover is during the day, store your luggage and take a cab into town (there is no airport shuttle), visit the Marché de Papeete (the market). Good place for souvenir shopping! Depending on your timing, you could even book a 4 hour tour of the island. Some hotel will offer a day room so you can lounge around the pool.

If at night, it`s more limited. I would still put my luggage in storage (at the airport for a small fee), go into town and have dinner at the roulottes on the waterfront and watch the world go by...

Also depending on the day, there`s a chance you could go to one of the hotels (Intercontinental or Meridien) for dinner and show.

Cheers!

Houston, TX
3. Re: 8+ hrs at PPT

Hi Andie! It will be Saturday, Nov 24th. We fly from Huahine to PPT arriving at 4:30 PM. So we'll definitely store the luggage, and take a cab. I'll check with those hotels and see if they have dinner/shows, if not we'll go to town for roulottes. Thanks for the tips!

Houston, TX
4. Re: 8+ hrs at PPT

One more quick question, if we go to town via cab, where do we get the cab to return to the airport? I figured it's easy to get one at the airport or a hotel, but I wasn't sure how to get one if you're just walking around town.

Ottawa, Canada
5. Re: 8+ hrs at PPT

Hi Michelle - There are always taxis parked in front of the roulottes so you won`t have any problems getting back. It will be too late for the Marché for shopping :0(

However, if you`re lucky, you might even catch a "show" at the airport! We were lucky enough to be entertained by this group hired by a company to welcome a group of tourist arriving from France. It was about 11pm. It was absolutely great! Musicians and dancers! Would get this anywhere else in the world...Gotta love it! Anyway, it`s a long shot but who knows...!

Have a great trip!

Ontario
reviews: 31
6. Re: 8+ hrs at PPT

Hi Michelle,

You may want to consider getting in touch with the InterContinental.

There saturday night show was great, but may run a bit over the time you need to get back to the airport for check-in.

Watched it a week ago and it was enjoyable.

Enjoy your trip.

Houston, TX
7. Re: 8+ hrs at PPT

Thank you, Andie!

NearNorth: Our flight doesn't leave until 11:50PM, but we'll check with the Intercontinental like you suggest.

I saw on another thread you can only store luggage until ~10PM or so, we'd definitely be back by then.

How long before the flight back to LAX do we need to be there and check in?

Ottawa, Canada
8. Re: 8+ hrs at PPT

It's a small airport so a couple of hours is fine.

Kona
reviews: 36
9. Re: 8+ hrs at PPT

If you want a little more flexibility, you could also rent a car right there at the airport (that's what we did on a recent trip with a layover) - but taking a taxi into town is probably the easiest, given that your free time is mostly at night.

I'd advise being back at the airport by 9:30 pm, so in reality you only have something less than 5 hours to cruise around . . .

Houston, TX
10. Re: 8+ hrs at PPT

Thank you, wahineokewaa!