We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish language schools

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 3
Spanish language schools

Hello,

I'm thinking of sending my son, who loves both the Spanish language and world travel, to CR for some immersion classes this summer. I see there are many different companies out there. Does anyone have any insight into these companies, length of stay, or location? He is a high school senior currently in AP Spanish. He plans to minor in Spanish at college in the fall.

Thanks!

Colorado
reviews: 5
1. Re: Spanish language schools

I just came back from two weeks in a spanish immersion program through SpanishAbroad.com. We were students at Academia Columbus in Santo Dominge de Heredia. While there we had a group of about 10 sixteen year old high school students from the state of Washington and they seemed to really enjoy themselves. They did the homestay and all the girls that I talked to enjoyed it. We shared an apartment w/two other students so I can't comment on the homestay experience personally. But all that did it seemed to like it.

They are good about planning excursions etc for the students. I would recommend it and I would go through them again. Hope this helps!

P.S. Santo Domingo is a smaller suburb of San Jose and is probably more manageable in size for a young person than San jose, but that's just my opinion.

boston, MA
reviews: 16
2. Re: Spanish language schools

I went to a language school for 3 months in Alajeula, just outside of San Jose.... I second going outside of the city. I loved Alajeula and I visited Heredia many times and like it there as well. I did not love the school I went to so I am not recommending it. But I HIGHLY recommend a homestay, the family that I stayed with there were incredible and extremely welcoming, my friends all had good experiences with this as well. It also really helps you learn spanish faster bececause you really want to talk to these people, and it forced me to faster b/c they did not speak a word of english.

Shippensburg, PA
3. Re: Spanish language schools

Hi C11!

Check out COSI (Costa Rican Spanish Institute). I studied there for 4 months back in 2000, and a week in 2001. They have classes in the suburbs and at Manuel Antonio, overlooking the Pacific. They also have a summer camp programs for teens.

The staff there are excellent and commited to customer service. They will accomodate you any way they can from airport pick up to arranging day trips to various attractions.

Buena Suerte

mishes26

NY
reviews: 4
4. Re: Spanish language schools

Our sons appear to be twins - same passions, same college plans. We had the same idea for this summer and after much research we have selected http://www.firststepworld.com.

My son wanted the San Jose program because he is a city kid through-and-through, but they have several other Costa Rica options. You can choose how many weeks as it is a week-by-week program. There are options for group classes, one-on-one, or a combination. They offer homestays, will do airport pickups, and will help arrange side trips.

Of all the places I looked into, I felt they were the most accessible by phone and email which is important to me when sending an 18 yr. old off on his own. This isn't really first-hand "experience' since my son has yet to go, but it may be one you want to look at.

5. Re: Spanish language schools

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, August 28, 2009