We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question About Using My Mobile Phone

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
reviews: 5
Question About Using My Mobile Phone

Hello All,

Im visiting Costa Rica for five days next week. This is my first visit. Im staying in a hotel in San Jose. From there I will take tours and all that. Im from the USA.

Anyway, I have a question about purchasing and using a sim card during my stay, My personal cell phone cannot use a sim card. So when I traveled to Beijing a couple of years ago, I bought a really inexpensive LG mobile phone. It is only a plain phone, but can take a sim card. I believe I was told the phone is 2G. Can I use this type of phone in Costa Rica? I would just use it for local calls. I plan on meeting some local people in San Jose, but they are unsure about my type of phone.

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: Question About Using My Mobile Phone

Hello! Welcome to C.R by the way, if your cellphone works with a Sim card you can use it, but if it is 2G you may forget about the internet on your cellphone, at front of the Hotel Costa Rica, you will see "La plaza de la cultura" and the national theater, there are a bunch of boys and girls selling sim cards for 1 to 2 thousand colones, if you have further questions just let me know, I am local so just ask

Regards, enjoy your time here!

Edited: 12:28 pm, March 12, 2014
Wayne, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Playa Conchal
reviews: 31
2. Re: Question About Using My Mobile Phone

More importantly, you phone needs to support the 1800 Mhz band. Most of China is 900 Mhz. Your phone probably support multiple bands, so check to see.

New York City, New...
reviews: 59
3. Re: Question About Using My Mobile Phone

Check on gsmword.com which bands are supported in CR, Then check with your cell phone manufacturer which bands the cell supports. If at least one band matches, then you're good to go. Buy a local SIM for cheap and you'll be able to make cheap calls.

4. Re: Question About Using My Mobile Phone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, March 20, 2015