We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accom with two-three meals

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
accom with two-three meals

A friend is going to be in San Jose for 10 days finishing dental work with Dr Cavalllini. She's looking for somewhere not too far away which would offer breakfast and dinner, and perhaps the odd lunch. Los Cumbres is a bit far as she needs to go to clinic visits daily. Not too expensive.

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
reviews: 1
1. Re: accom with two-three meals

I don't know that neighborhood (Ave 3B and Calle 30 between Barrio Mexico and Paseo Colon) too well, so can't think of too many restaurants in that immediate area, The most obvious place to recommend would be the oft reviewe Machu Pichu, a Peruvian restaurant on Calle 32 (150 m N of the KFC), which is only 2.5 blocks away. Too be honest, I haven't eaten there in years. It used to be really good and has tons of great reviews, but like many such places may have relied too much on its past success as I've also heard that it is not quite as great as it once was (1 complaint I've heard recently is overcharging gringos, so if you go check your bill carefully). I suggest you check out the reviews for yourself, especially the more recent ones, and then decide whether you want to give it a try.

If you don't mind going a little further afield, you might also try Lubnan for Mddle Eastern food at Calle 24 and Paseo Colon (kind of a long walk but still doable at around 6 blocks away). Going in the opposite direction, the Restaurante Fogo Brazil is also kinda in that area, but it is also kinda pricey.

Of course, all these places are really lunch or dinner places and not super cheap. If you really want to try someplace inexpensive that is also good for breakfasts, you really should be looking for a small neighborhood soda (which IMHO is good advice for any part of SJ or CR). Everyone has their favorite, but if truth be told, one place is usually basically as good as another. I think my best advice for you would be simply be to ask the staff at the dental office what place they'd recommend. They work in that area and would know far better than anyone around here what places are good near them,

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 16
2. Re: accom with two-three meals

Over the years we have stayed at the Cacts Hotel which is right there on Avenue 3 Bis many times. They offer breakfast.. It isn't a fancy place, but the owner Alexa is very nice.

http://www.hotelcacts.com/pagina/services.htm

For someone who says he doesn't know the are well, Prolijo has given you a good list of places around. Lubnon is one of our favourites and we always walk when we are at the Cacts. There are other places along the Pasao Colon like the French Restaurant le Bastille, a Chinese restaurant, and the Pizza Hut.

Also in the area is a Mexican Place called Maria Bonita.

Pura vida

raquel

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: accom with two-three meals

I like Lubnan too. Great shish kabob, nice soft pita bread. Have you been to Machu Pichu recently? I'd like to hear your take.

Canada
4. Re: accom with two-three meals

I'm afraid I mustn't have made my request clear. She wants accommodation that provides the meals. We stayed at the Christina in January, which offers breakfast. I enjoyed the kitchen, ate out a few times. My friend doesn't like to cook.

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
5. Re: accom with two-three meals

I'm sorry. I misunderstood. Grano de Oro has a great restaurant for dinner and also provides breakfast, but is not cheap. I still don't understand why your friend has to have their meals at their hotel itself, rather than just going to someplace nearby (or for that matter taking a short cab ride to any number of great restaurants around town).

Canada
6. Re: accom with two-three meals

She's not a confident traveler. I'd find it boring myself. Is there a B&B that might offer an evening meal?

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
7. Re: accom with two-three meals

I understand now and I agree with you, pretty boring. I'm not sure what options that leaves. If she's not confident enough to go out to eat, how confident will she be taking a cab or even walking a short distance to the dental clinic? If she can take a cab to get to the clinic, she doesn't have to stay that close to the clinic and there are any number of hotels/B&B's in SJ that have their own restaurants (the Don Carlos is just one that comes to mind). Or if taking a public taxi is also a problem, does Cavelini provide pick-up service for its patients? I know that CRDT does.

Canada
8. Re: accom with two-three meals

Dr Cavellini has just started to provide a pick up/drop off service. Pt's pay a fee for each trip. Unlike myself, I don't think she feels comfortable eating alone in a restaurant. I had hoped someone would offer a suggestion, as I'm not keen to do research on this issue as I'm busy with other projects of my own. I was surprised when she told me that this was what she wanted. I've traveled solo for most of my trips abroad and frankly found it a trifle confining to travel with someone on my last trip. I might send an email to Dr Cavellini's office and see if they know of a suitable accommodation.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 16
9. Re: accom with two-three meals

Not sure her budget, but as Prolijo says, there are many hotels that do have onsite restaurants. Also some of the B and Bs might just be willing to prepare a few meals on request. And basically pretty where anywhere in the central or western parts of San Jose won't be far in a cab or the transportation the Dr. offers.

A place that comes to mind that might work is the Best Western Irazu. They offer breakfast, have room service and there is a Denny's right there. It is however right on a busy highway.

Closer to Dr Cavallini is the Tryp Sabana. it does have its own restaurant.

If you look at Dr. Cavallini's website he now has his own guest house (no 3 meals though) and recommends a few other places.

aestheticdentistrycr.com/travel_info_costa_r…

Good luck

raquel

10. Re: accom with two-three meals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, March 06, 2015