We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental from San Jose Airport using vipcars.com

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
São Paulo, SP
reviews: 18
Car rental from San Jose Airport using vipcars.com

Hi, somebody know about vipcars.com to rent a car at Costa Rica? Are they reliable? thanks!

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
1. Re: Car rental from San Jose Airport using vipcars.com

Don't do it. Just don't. Book directly with a Costa Rican agency -- it's usually a big mistake to book through a third party. Some to look at include: Vamos, Solid, Service, Budget, National, Toyota, Alamo, Adobe.

São Paulo, SP
reviews: 18
2. Re: Car rental from San Jose Airport using vipcars.com

Thank you! I sent an e-mail for Solid to planning my travel. ;)

Edited: 10:53 pm, March 04, 2014
Costa Rica
3. Re: Car rental from San Jose Airport using vipcars.com

Solid is a great company with an excellent reputation here. I think you will be happy with their service.

California, Maryland
reviews: 3
4. Re: Car rental from San Jose Airport using vipcars.com

It's just a myth, to discourage from not using 3rd party aggregators. Infact, the prices they give you for the same suppliers you are looking to book with, are way much lower than the actual walk-in rack rates.

That said, each and every inclusion is clearly stated on almost all the websites, including but not limited to rentalcars.com, argus, vipcars.com, expedia, travelsupermarket et al.

I would definitely recommend you to get a quote from the direct supplier/company and then compare the same with the rates online platforms have to offer. You will be surprised with the deals you get, which you will be missing 100% by taking up the walkin rates.

I am a regular traveller and often rent a car (online 95% of the times) and never had any bad encounter from any of the above mentioned websites. Instead, it always saved a lot of $$'s on the same car and exactly the same services.

I'd urge you to compare first, ask them about the inclusions, and if all is similar to what the company, directly, is offering you at a high price, why not get it at a cheaper price then?

Do Share your findings..Thanks

Good luck with your trip..

Cheers

Edited: 3:59 am, April 01, 2014
Costa Rica
5. Re: Car rental from San Jose Airport using vipcars.com

Many, many MANY people have had problems renting cars in Costa Rica from third-party providers. It is NOT a myth.

For instance.... there was the case of the person who rented through Orbitz and Orbitz sold them insurance that was not only not valid in Costa Rica but didn't bother to tell them that there would be the additional mandatory, by law, insurance that they would have to pay.

It's ALWAYS BETTER to book directly with the Costa Rican agency! Always! No matter what price you get - you never know just what is included.

Steve- you may travel a lot, but if you have rented a gazillion cars in Costa Rica through third-party providers and had a good experience, you should head for Las Vegas because you are truly lucky!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
6. Re: Car rental from San Jose Airport using vipcars.com

I have to agree with Hattie that the experiences of posters on this forum would suggest that third party sites may seem to give you savings but in the end actually give a false impression of the price that will be paid and then wash their hands of the matter once you are at the counter, having paid upfront for your vehicle only to discover the quotation you were given included almost nothing that had to be paid. My feeling is that if everything goes according to plan, then you can get a cheap deal but if there is an error or misunderstanding, then the third party website pass the responsibility to the operator and the operator on the third party site. I would suggest renting directly through a good company so that you know what you will be paying before you arrive.

California, Maryland
reviews: 3
7. Re: Car rental from San Jose Airport using vipcars.com

Hattie, From my personal experience of renting cars at Juan Santamaria International Airport or otherwise known as San Jose airport, I have never had a goof up niether from the supplier's end nor from the rental facilitators side. I have rented a car three times (well, that may be sound less as compared to gazillion count you thought I may have had) and never had a single complication. What I saw was what I got.

Well, I guess if that makes me lucky, then perhaps I may be. But I would credit that to the improvisations made in technology enabling better sync between facilitators and actual companies.

To segregate the three times, I have used 3 different facilitators, Rentalcars.com (for their on going promotion back in december), Vipcars.com (lower pricing) and economybookings (their customer support, ofcourse being a booking group entity). Of the three times, I have used Dollar, Adobe Rent a car, Europcar. The protocol was simple, check the prices on both suppliers end and on facilitators end. To be 100% sure of what you are going to get, call them both, ask questions and then finalize. But ofcourse, this is always followed whenever you are out there to buy something else as well. For the insurance bit, I have always made sure that what the actual company provides is always adequate and just to be double sure about everything, zero excess or similar upgrades can be done at the desk itself. That said, I have never bought insurances the facilitators sell on their own (apart from the one's that are included, CDW, THW, PLI to name a few)

Nonetheless, I thought, I'd share my experience since the topic was appropriate, I did. Needless to say, Costa Rica is an amazing place (for me, it was Jaco, that left me mesmerizing). So to speak, I think, I can give Las Vegas a shot :P .. lol.. I hope the OP can find a grat deal, either through the supplier or through the facilitator. But I am glad, I got a Heads up, through the Native's, you never know the 4th time ditches you.

Edited: 5:44 am, April 03, 2014
London, England...
reviews: 81
8. Re: Car rental from San Jose Airport using vipcars.com

Lucky is definitely the word.

This forum is choc full of angry upset travellers who've booked through third party agents and got 'screwed' on arrival - your experiences are very much in the minority.

Costa Rica
9. Re: Car rental from San Jose Airport using vipcars.com

I have to agree with DavidE. Based on what has been written here time after time, you have definitely been lucky, stevewagner.

10. Re: Car rental from San Jose Airport using vipcars.com

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 05, 2015