We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What u.s. items could I trade for a surfboard in costa rica?

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Monte Rio...
What u.s. items could I trade for a surfboard in costa rica?

I dont want to pay the fee for bring my board over so I was thinking I could just buy one when I get there then either give it to someone or sell it back before I leave. Someone told me dvd players were worth money there. I was thinking I could bring some items to barter with. If you have and idea I would love to hear it. I also want to bring gifts for the kids and some other cool locals. I was thinking dvds or cds.... Any thoughts?

London, England...
reviews: 81
1. Re: What u.s. items could I trade for a surfboard in costa rica?

1. Dollars?

2. CR isn't exactly impoverish, don't remember seeing any poor street urchins in need of hand-outs (as a nice a sentiment as it may be).

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 39
2. Re: What u.s. items could I trade for a surfboard in costa rica?

IMO just buy one and sell it back, bartering is not a guarantee and you could end up with something nobody really wants. We have DVD players here for instance, I don't think that idea will fly.

Gifts for kids is a cool idea. Colored pens and pencils, coloring books, kids books, all good things to consider. Good of you to bring things for the kiddies.

Monte Rio...
3. Re: What u.s. items could I trade for a surfboard in costa rica?

so there are no items that are way cheaper in states? If someone from china brings some sweet phones here they are worth a ton. for example. Not trying to talk down to CR. you seem devensive

London, United...
reviews: 22
4. Re: What u.s. items could I trade for a surfboard in costa rica?

Incabod, you're a local and I'm not, I'm almost at the end of my first 18 day visit so I don't know very much about CR culture.

Could giving gifts to local children be misinterpreted in any way? We have seen a number of warnings about 'protecting' children - would the average CR parent appreciate a stranger handing out gifts? In other parts of the world we have been warned not to do this, but to make donations to schools etc if we feel the need.

Nothing I've seen of the charming Costa Rican people would make me feel OK about handing out random gifts, I would feel very awkward indeed.

Monte Rio...
5. Re: What u.s. items could I trade for a surfboard in costa rica?

Yea that would be awkward. These gifts would be for friends we made along the way. When I was in indonesia I gave my landlord my knife because good blades are hard to come by. He was very appreciative. I just want to be prepared with something more special then cash!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
6. Re: What u.s. items could I trade for a surfboard in costa rica?

You could visit a school and do it that way, or an orphanage. Handing out stuff on the streets is a bit odd here or anywhere for that matter. Just be prepared if you go the school or orphanage route, there can be quite a few kids and you would not want anyone to feel left out.

If the idea is more for folks you meet during your travels than you just have to feel the situation out. If it feels right to offer something than by all means do so.

Bittreaveler - I dont think the average parent would take offense. The COsta Rican people are very friendly, that's one reason I have lived here for so long.

Monte Rio...
7. Re: What u.s. items could I trade for a surfboard in costa rica?

Thanks but you not getting the question. I just want to know what items from the u.s. would be worth money

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
8. Re: What u.s. items could I trade for a surfboard in costa rica?

Well, everything, but that's not a guarantee that you will find a taker. Things used to be a lot more expensive here but prices have been dropping in the last few years. Things like DVD players, Tablets, etc... are easily had at a decent price compared to years gone by.

5 years ago a DVD player would cost you $100 here while the same one would sell in the USA for $25. But that has changed a lot, still more expensive here but not so much so that bringing one down is going to do you any good.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 57
9. Re: What u.s. items could I trade for a surfboard in costa rica?

I don't find very "fair trade" to buy and item for 25US$ and barter it for another item maybe worth 100US$. But it is a free world, free economy. Just be sure that there is no custom duties on your imported goods. Or taxes.

London, England...
reviews: 81
10. Re: What u.s. items could I trade for a surfboard in costa rica?

Are you not running a bit of a risk with customs also, trying to bring in a bunch of electronic hardware??