We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free weekend in San Jose - what to see/do nearby?

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jersey City, NJ USA
Destination Expert
for Jersey City
reviews: 36
Free weekend in San Jose - what to see/do nearby?

I'll be in San Jose for about 10 days starting this coming weekend. Most of my weekdays will revolve around work, so I doubt I'll have too much time to see anything. However, my weekend is free, and I wanted to do some sightseeing as this will be my first time in Costa Rica.

What is my best bet in terms of sightseeing? I'll have a car and I speak the language, and I'd like to fit as much as possible given my time constraints. I'll be staying just east of SJO airport. Thanks for any tips!

5 replies to this topic
Costa Rica
reviews: 23
1. Re: Free weekend in San Jose - what to see/do nearby?

Just a sample...... anywherecostarica.com/destinations/…tours

Cartagena, Colombia
reviews: 2
2. Re: Free weekend in San Jose - what to see/do nearby?

hi, a free weekend and a private car is just perfect for going to manuel antonio! breathtaking views, good chance to see many animals in the national park, nice small beaches in the park, great long beach outside park area. just relax or go on a waterfall hike, horsebackriding, have surf lessons, do parasailing, ... have nice night life. want to have more beaches, more night life? go up to jaco. best night life at the beach, many activities around. want some more adventures? go further down to osa: whale watching and dolphin tours in uvita, waterfall hikes and rapelling, horseback riding at the beach, canopy or jungle night walks, day tour to caño island to see incredible underwater sea life while snorkeling or diving, many nice hotels, so many pristine beaches like marino ballena national park with the beach in the shape of a whale tale, so many good restaurants, visit indian villages, have mangrove tours and even the chance to see the very south of osa with a one day tour to corcovado national park. pure adventure!

Edited: 12:26 pm, November 11, 2013
Jersey City, NJ USA
Destination Expert
for Jersey City
reviews: 36
3. Re: Free weekend in San Jose - what to see/do nearby?

thanks!

JENSEN BEACH
reviews: 30
4. Re: Free weekend in San Jose - what to see/do nearby?

I recently spent a weekend at Volcan Turrialba Lodge. Awesome scenery on the drive up. Very Off the Beaten Path. Literally at the base of a volcano. Large working farm with clean accomodations, on site restaurant and great people. Rooms have a kitchenette where you can enjoy morning coffee overlooking sunrise at the volcano. Each has a wood stove which is great at night. I spent time exploring trails, a morning horseback riding to the lava flow through pastures, river gorges and down lanes with cattle, oxen, sheep and goats everywhere. Unlike any area of CR I have visited. So many options for a weekend away from the City. Beaches, volcano, waterfalls, ranches, farms and Spa resorts. Local Ferias, farmers markets, animal rescue centers, quaint towns, gardens......

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 33
5. Re: Free weekend in San Jose - what to see/do nearby?

I would recommend that you spend a couple of days in Cartago and the Orosi Valley

Start with an early morning visit to Vulcan Irazu for the best views. After that, head down to to Cartago; a beautiful and walkable city with attractions such as the Bastilica de Nuestra Señora de Los Ángeles, the Ruins and Central Park, the Central Market and Lancaster Gardens. There are nice restaurants frequented more by Ticos than tourists, allowing you an opportunity to get to know the real Ticos – not just the ones in the tourism industry.

The nearby Orosi Valley is my favorite area in Costa Rica and well worth visiting. In addition to beautiful Vistas you will find The House of the Dreamer (Casa del Soñador), the ruins at Ujjaras and the colonial church and museum in Orosi. Tapanti National Park is a nearby opportunity to experience an unspoiled rainforest. When Ticos who live in San Jose want to get away from the city and relax, this is where they go, and there is a reason for that… it is beautiful. You can even go white water rafting and ziplining in the area. Contact Aventuras Orosi for that. http://www.aventurasorosicr.com/

Reply to: Free weekend in San Jose - what to see/do nearby?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted