We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel don carlos

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
reviews: 2
hotel don carlos

We will be staying at this hotel in a few months. The hotel looks very quaint. Is thearea safe for two travelling women? We're unfamiliar with the area.

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
1. Re: hotel don carlos

Not sure what you mean by a "safe area."

Pretty much anywhere in downtown San Jose you are liable to find petty theft. One of the most common things is for someone to walk behind you and just take things out of your backpack as you are walking. This is why you will see so many people with their backpacks on the front. Of course, there are pickpockets here and there.

After dark, definitely take taxis, even if it's just a few blocks.

You will need to be wary and use all your street smarts. Don't walk around with a camera slung around your neck and don't take everything you own with you when you walk around. Take only enough cash for your needs and leave everything else at your hotel. If you use your smartphone as a camera, tuck in into a pocket after taking a picture. Don't wear expensive jewelry. Use an older daypack and not some brand-new expensive thing.

Personal violence is not all that common - but still it doesn't hurt to be aware of your surroundings.

Bx
reviews: 18
2. Re: hotel don carlos

I was stabbed one block from there in a failed mugging. The taxi driver I hailed refused to bring me to Hospital Calderon 3 blocks away. ER Too busy there he said. Dragged me across town to another hospital.

I know others who have been mugged in that neighborhood.

After six use a taxi even if only a couple of blocks away.

nacion.com/blogs/…Ciudad_10_1376962291.html

This artlcle suggests violence is quite common from an author that lives in that barrio.

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
3. Re: hotel don carlos

Which is why we usually recommend that people stay in Alajuela and not San Jose.

toronto
4. Re: hotel don carlos

Wow! I'm sorry to hear that. I'm glad you're ok. You are familiar with the area itself, or we you travelling through?

toronto
5. Re: hotel don carlos

We thought this place because it does look quaint & so historic, which is what we're looking for. Another attraction was that it's in centre of town and close to things. We're just passing through for one night, flying into SJO mid afternoon, leaving in the morning. Any suggestions?

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 192
6. Re: hotel don carlos

The wife and I stayed there for a couple of days several years ago on our first trip to Costa Rica. At that time, this hotel was highly recommended. I will just say that at one time this was probably a very good place to stay while visiting the downtown area. The hotel was in somewhat disarray, and the staff was not very friendly at all. If you feel that you must spend time in San Jose, I would look else where for a better experience. To me, time spent in the San Jose area, is a waste of time when there is so much to see and do in other places. If you are there for just one night, stay closer to the airport in Alajuela, since that is where the airport actually is. If you have a little extra money, I would say an overnight at Xandari might be a good experience. I think that you can arrange a transfer from the airport to the hotel and back. Here is the link http://www.xandari.com/

Bx
7. Re: hotel don carlos

"Which is why we usually recommend that people stay in Alajuela and not San Jose."

Alajuela is even scarier after dark. I would not walk from one side of Alajuela to another after dark, I would rather risk Barrio Amon.

Bx
8. Re: hotel don carlos

Don Carlos is quaint and historic. It is centrally located. After dark a different element takes over.

"You are familiar with the area itself, or we you travelling through"

I was not visiting, I live here. I know the owners of the two hotels across the street from Don Carlos and another friend has a (decrepit) mansion one block away. I was just stumbling drunk from one bar to another. (3 blocks south of Don Carlos is fine at night, walking around on Central Avenue is fine until late. Barrio Amon has no foot traffic and poor lighting. The only unique architecture in Costa Rica is located there (Except for maybe the adobe style of Liberia).

That area has dozens of hotels. The INS building is across the street. Just take a taxi at night.

toronto
9. Re: hotel don carlos

Because we'll arrive mid afternoon, we do plan on being back to our hotel by dark and stay put from there. We were hoping to see a bit of something, to get the most of our only afternoon in either of those two areas... But yes, we will definitely stay put after dark & of course use street smarts. Thank you for you input!

catawba
reviews: 20
10. Re: hotel don carlos

We stayed there twice in the last couple of months. We felt safe and would stay there again. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

If you do, try the restaurant Kalú just a couple of blocks away, near Hotel Dunn Inn. The food is most excellent and the charged prices were about three dollars less than stated on the menu.