We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midnight Flight Arrival

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Metro Detroit, MI
reviews: 13
Midnight Flight Arrival

We are scheduled to arrive at 12:30 AM in San Jose on Spirit Airlines. Does anyone have any words of wisdom? Can we expect high crime just outside the airport? Will we easily be able to secure a taxi? Should we hunker down at a hotel nearby, then venture out the next day?

3 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 52
1. Re: Midnight Flight Arrival

Yes, you should hunker down at a hotel near the airport, which is located near the town of Alajuela actually. Get one with transfer included so you will not be at the mercy of the taxi drivers (prices can be steep so late at night). As a starter, here is one idea; http://www.adventure-inn.com/ .

Costa Rica
reviews: 23
2. Re: Midnight Flight Arrival

Taxis are not really a problem in the middle of the night at the airport. There are licenses and professional taxi drivers available 24 hours a day as you exit the terminal. To avoid any ripoff, just be sure they use the meter.

As for places to stay -- there is lodging of all sorts and all prices 15 minutes or less from the airport. Some that I have stayed include: Alegria B&B and Hotel Los Volcanes. La Rosa de America is very nice, with nice grounds, about 20 minutes from the airport and they have a nice pool.

Where you stay will depend on your wants/needs, budget and where you are going the next morning. Er..... that morning. But yes, get a hotel room and have a sleep and a shower before starting on your Costa Rican adventure.

And no - you won't find "high crime" as you exit the airport terminal -- just other passengers and people there to meet them and those taxis.

I know a lot of people like Adventure Inn - I am not one of them -- but I am obviously in the minority on this forum. I have stayed at a lot of the hotels in the Alajuela area (probably around 20) and Adventure Inn is my second least favorite. (My very least favorite is a hostel where I had a room with a private bath and the place stank of sewer gas all night long!) There's nothing drastically wrong with it -- I just don't like the neighborhood and I think there are some better choices.

Edited: 7:34 am, November 08, 2013
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 52
3. Re: Midnight Flight Arrival

Pamela (and Hattie), I have to admit that all three places suggested by Hattie looks nice and they are also more affordable then Adventure Inn. Maybe it is time for me to find out for myself how they are in real life? Hopefully sooner then later!

Reply to: Midnight Flight Arrival
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted