We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book Tours in Advance via Planner or at Hotel?

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 81
Book Tours in Advance via Planner or at Hotel?

We (two of us) will be doing the tours during the high season. We are working with a planner who has helped us get booked into lodging that wasn't taking any more reservations from the general public, so feel some gratitude, and have a slight inclination to use the planner to book our tours.

Mostly what I read on TA is to wait to book activities until one is on-site, in order to assess the weather and to get a better price. Does this hold true even during the high season? Do people get turned away from ziplines and rafting trips?

How much better is the price by waiting to book the day before? 5% savings? 20%?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
1. Re: Book Tours in Advance via Planner or at Hotel?

If you contact a tour by email/phone and offer to pay in cash you will often get a discount, anywhere from 5-20% and sometimes more. Booking through a agency or hotel you will get the rate the tour company posts to the public.

IMO book tours you are sure you want to do ahead of time in high season. They can and do fill up. During the rainy season your safe to wing it.

Some people like agencies and some like to go it alone. Both ways are valid. I find value in a good agent beyond the monetary aspect but it depends on where I am going. In Mexico I wing it, I have been there many many times. Several locations in Europe I wing it. But I always use an agent when I am going somewhere new. When I use an agent I don't just let them take over all the planning. I like to plan, so I plan the trip with them, and a good agent will work with you.

Booking direct will save money if you ask, booking through your agent carries a bit more insurance should something go wrong. All depends on your priorities.

2. Re: Book Tours in Advance via Planner or at Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 08, 2014