We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels with a view of La Festival de La Luz

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 7
Hotels with a view of La Festival de La Luz

Which hotels would have a good view of the parades on the 14th of December? Friends would like to see it but think their children are too young to stand for the whole thing. Ideas much appreciated!

12 replies to this topic
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
1. Re: Hotels with a view of La Festival de La Luz

Anyone? Not even Mickey?

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 31
2. Re: Hotels with a view of La Festival de La Luz

The problem is that it goes down 2nd Ave, and I don't think there are any decent hotels overlooking it.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
3. Re: Hotels with a view of La Festival de La Luz

There must be somewhere.......

Barrie, Canada
4. Re: Hotels with a view of La Festival de La Luz

OK, my wife tells me that if you got a room at the Gran Hotel, you would be able to watch the parade Througg the window, but I know there areno balconies. This might be the best option because you could be outside in front of the National Theatre watching, and if tbe kids got tired go inside and watch through the window.

Barrie, Canada
5. Re: Hotels with a view of La Festival de La Luz

Just be suretheroon faces 2nd Ave and not the interior courtyard or Avinita Central.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
6. Re: Hotels with a view of La Festival de La Luz

Thanks so much! That would be perfect. Was looking at the Ambassador which is the perfect location but the reviews are shocking!

Jaco, Costa Rica
7. Re: Hotels with a view of La Festival de La Luz

I'm thinking the same thing for myself this year. I am going to look at hotels on Paseo Colon. As long as it's not terrible I'm not picky about hotels. Will try to remember this thread when I find a place. Ambassador is in perfect location, can't remember if they have balconies.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
8. Re: Hotels with a view of La Festival de La Luz

They do but are charging $300 to use one!

Bx
reviews: 18
9. Re: Hotels with a view of La Festival de La Luz

I have never heard anyone say a good thing about the Ambassador.

The festival de la Luz was created as a scheme by Jhonny Araya to help his name become nationally known in preparation for this years Presidential Run. It was also intended to bring shoppers into San Jose. Last years preparation was amusing because they were repaving Paseo Colone and of course behind schedule. Araya had them do 24 hour shifts to make sure it was done on time and so he looked good on national TV.

They will start erecting bleachers in the beginning of December snarling traffic even more. These bleachers may or may not interfere with viewing the parade from The Gran Hotel. the bleachers are about 8 foot tall and add people on the top rung, and you need to be at least 15 foot off the ground to see over them. I forget how far down the parade goes. Last year they told the teenagers they could no longer drink beer while watching (or more accurately loitering behind the bleachers).

You can try and schedule a viewing of one of the multiple unsold units in Torres Paseo Colone that day. They are desperate for sales in a building the developer claimed over a year ago was 100% sold out.

http://www.gip.co.cr/torres_paseo_colon.htm

That would be the best view. Just bring beach chairs and a cooler and tell the sales agent you want to check out the units on the south side for a condo purchase. Tell the agent you just need five hours alone in the unit to make your decision.

http://www.parquedellago.com/php/culture.php

This hotel may have rooms with a view. I cannot tell if the office building in front of it on Paseo itself is part of the hotel or just owned by them and the offices are there.

The upper eastern rooms of Tryp may give you a bad view and there is a youth hostel across the street from the Scotia bank building (or Torres Mercedes, in case like me you have been given directions based on a car lot that closed down 15 years ago, you too can then wander up and down Paseo Colone for an hour asking Donde Torres Mercedes without anyone telling you it is now a bank).

http://www.hostelcasacolon.com/

I was at the 2nd Festival de la Luz, I think in 2006? shortly (days?) after Arias recognized China and shafted Taiwan for a bauble in the park and promise of loans in the future. Half the parade was dancing dragons with communist china flags. It took months to prepare those floats and yet somehow they kept it hidden from Taiwan, as they were still paying for and building roads until 24 hours after the official announcement.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
10. Re: Hotels with a view of La Festival de La Luz

Thanks for such a comprehensive viewing guide, Mickey. Very kind of you to take the time to write it all.

Reply to: Hotels with a view of La Festival de La Luz
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted