We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SJO to Manuel Antonio & Arenal - which first?

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
reviews: 8
SJO to Manuel Antonio & Arenal - which first?

We will arrive at 7pm. Any benefit to choosing one over the other to go to first, given the late hour?

And I assume since it will be dark shortly after our arrival that it would be easiest to get a driver. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Camille

5 replies to this topic
reviews: 1
1. Re: SJO to Manuel Antonio & Arenal - which first?

Manuel road better after dark Arenal winding narrow road longer drive

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 33
2. Re: SJO to Manuel Antonio & Arenal - which first?

Do Arenal first. Book a transfer or stay over near the airport the first night if you want to drive.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 54
3. Re: SJO to Manuel Antonio & Arenal - which first?

It will be dark 1 hour before your arrival, so driving by yourself on the same night, is not advisable. Overnight near airport, closest town is Alajuela, about 10 min by taxi. Of course, if you will hire a private driver, that is not any more a concern. In such a case, just start at whichever location fits you better.

Marbella, Spain
reviews: 35
4. Re: SJO to Manuel Antonio & Arenal - which first?

Good advice to lodge near the airport and travel in the morning unless hiring a driver. I have always done Arenal 1st on my trips to CR as much more activity focused and then head to Manuel Antonio for chill & relax.....

Leesburg, Virginia
reviews: 17
5. Re: SJO to Manuel Antonio & Arenal - which first?

Last time I stayed first night in San Jose and left early to Arenal the next day so I can enjoy the scenic drive and stops at coffee plantation. This time, I don't want to waste my first night in San Jose. So, taking private shuttle to near Manuel Antonio so I can wake up to enjoy my beach day. I'll be doing morning drives to arenal and back to San Jose to enjoy scenic drives with stops.

Reply to: SJO to Manuel Antonio & Arenal - which first?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted