We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I rent a car in San Jose and drive across to Nicaragua?

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 72
Can I rent a car in San Jose and drive across to Nicaragua?

I need to visit some people in San Jose and in Managua. My flight is into San Jose and back out of San Jose 10 days later. In the middle of those 10 days I would like to drive up to Managua, visit my friends, and then spend the next two nights in San Juan Del Sur, before driving back to San Jose a few days before I return to the USA.

Is this possible? Is the car rental company going to allow it? Is the Nicaraguan gov't and Costa Rican gov't going to be OK with it? I've never done a border crossing in Central America and have no idea.

Thanks in advance.

Pleasanton...
reviews: 7
1. Re: Can I rent a car in San Jose and drive across to Nicaragua?

No, you cannot actually drive a rental car across the border. However, Alamo has something worked out where you can drop their car at the Alamo office on the CR side, and when you cross the border they will have an Alamo car waiting for you on the Nicaraguan side (as there are no rental offices right there). Plan at least a couple hours to cross the border, to be confused, to pay fees that aren't posted anywhere, to show your passport a zillion times, etc. Actually, try to prepare a little bit by googling Peñas Blancas border crossing on you tube. There are some videos on there that try to walk you through the process. It will still be confusing, but hopefully a little less so.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
2. Re: Can I rent a car in San Jose and drive across to Nicaragua?

Good advice from ataylor. You can't cross the border with a vehicle but if Alamo have some kind of deal, you may even find that their rep can help you through the border.

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 5
3. Re: Can I rent a car in San Jose and drive across to Nicaragua?

Nice, Alamo!

Edited: 12:56 pm, September 14, 2013
San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: Can I rent a car in San Jose and drive across to Nicaragua?

Yeep...maybe ALAMO...

roadadvisor

5. Re: Can I rent a car in San Jose and drive across to Nicaragua?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 16, 2014