We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Needed for my itinerary

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CA
Help Needed for my itinerary

Hi Life Savers :)

We are travelling to San Jose, Costa Rica on Thanksgiving Week. We have 6 nights. We have a 5 years boy. Could you help us out for our itinerary? We want to do child friendly activities like hot springs, volcano's, bird feeding...

Please help us a good plan. We appreciate your time and effort.

Thank You.

4 replies to this topic
Costa Rica
reviews: 23
1. Re: Help Needed for my itinerary

With that amount of time and what you are looking for, I would spend the whole time in the Arenal area. There's lots to do and see. A great experience would be a half-day volunteering at Proyecto Asis near Arenal. It's a wildlife rescue center and there are animals of all sorts there and you will be asked to help feed them. There are also boating activities on Lake Arenal, float trips on a river as well as hot springs and other activities.

Some helpful websites: www.arenal.net and www.fortunawelcome.com and also anywherecostarica.com/destinations/arenal-co…

The Arenal area is about 3 hours from SJO airport and you should keep in mind that you may need to spend your first/last night somewhere near the airport - depending on your mode of transportation.

CA
2. Re: Help Needed for my itinerary

Thank you so much for your reply.

Good gracious, at least 2 nights are decided but still 4 more to go...

What else places should we visit excluding arenal?

Costa Rica
reviews: 23
3. Re: Help Needed for my itinerary

You could spend all 6 days in the Arenal area - and never get bored.

An option is to split your 6 days between Arenal and Samara Beach. Samara is a great place for families - nice beach, friendly town and no big waves.

Keep in mind that it does take some time to get around - look here: www.yourtravelmap.com You will see from this that traveling from location to location can take 1/2 a day or more.

For Samara -- www.samarabeach.com or www.nicoyapeninsula.com

If you are planning on renting a car, then the best advice is not to drive after dark - except around the area where you are staying. For this reason, I added "you may need to spend your first/last night near the airport."

For instance, if you arrive SJO anytime after around 2 pm and are planning to go to Arenal from there, then it's best to either spend the night near the airport or hire transportation -- either a private driver or one of the shared van shuttles if their schedule fits yours.

La Fortuna de San...
4. Re: Help Needed for my itinerary

well, I would recommend you to take a day to go to the national theater ad local museums in san jose, then on day two, rent a car and go to the fortuna area, make a reservation in one of the near by hotels, visit the waterfall, try some zip lining, go to the arenal observatory lodge and take a guided walk around the trails and facilities to later on come back and stop by the free hotsprings at the tabacon river, you can also book the entrance tickets to the baldi waterpark which I am sure your kid will love, I think the entrance fees you can find cheaper in town than at the actual park, but it surrounds anywhere between 30 and 35 USD, which also include dinner, if you go to the hotsprings go during the evening, other wise the heat will be overlwhelming and you will have to get out before you make your money worthy.

Reply to: Help Needed for my itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted