We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose for just one day

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
San Jose for just one day

I have one day and one night in San Jose before my six months of joy in Bocas Del Toro.......what should I eat and do and do and eat??

I am chef, and not food snobby.........

David

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
1. Re: San Jose for just one day

Some that have been recommended by people I know:

Goyi - in La Uruca - Japanese

Bacchus -- in Santa Ana --"to die for!" but expensive

Doris Metropolitan - Santa Ana

Bufalo Grill and Market -- features water buffalo meat (raised in Costa Rica) and fresh mozzarella

"Best pizza in the whole country!" La Fabrica

For typical Costa Rican food, visit a good "soda." Your hotel can recommend a good one that's nearby. This is where you will find many typical Costa Rican dishes. There isn't a lot to get excited about and the food is not spicy/hot - but usually simple, made fresh with fresh ingredients.

When you are in Bocas del Toro, visit the southern Caribbean of Costa Rica which has its own "brand" of local dishes, unlike anything else in the country.

Edited: 6:32 pm, August 24, 2013
Quebec City, Canada
reviews: 22
2. Re: San Jose for just one day

In the morning, try a Gallo Pinto and a Casado (with fish) for dinner.

If you see "ceviche", try it too!

I don't know a "best place" in San José...only southern. Sorry.

San Jose, Costa RIca
reviews: 9
3. Re: San Jose for just one day

Hi David, I have lived in SJ for the past 26 years and know it really well as well as being a hotel owner ( Hotel Santo Tomas) you tell me what you wish to eat and I can recommend you a great place, central market a must just to see! Most are walking distance from my hotel and the buses for the Caribbean side are only a few blocks walk. Safe Travels Thomas

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 38
4. Re: San Jose for just one day

AdvisorHST , self promotion is not permitted on Tripadvisor. Please stop.

JENSEN BEACH
reviews: 39
5. Re: San Jose for just one day

Thomas, I find good info in your posts! You do need to refrain from mentioning your own hotel as your posts can be removed for "self promotion" as canatico points out. It's fine for "guests" to mention your business, not for an Owner. I agree that the OP should definitely visit the Central Market. So many people I know visit SJ and never go there. Enjoy a batida! Yummy. The produce areas, baked goods,fish markets etc are fun to observe for a foodie even in transit and the central market has so much under one roof.

San Jose, Costa Rica
reviews: 6
6. Re: San Jose for just one day

Visit a Soda for typical food (for example in the central market) try the delicious fresh fruit juices and icecrea-helado de sorbetera. Great meat and more you get in a beautiful argentinian restaurant calles La Esquina de Buenos Aires. As Hattie said, i you have some time in the caribbean coast of Costa Rica you should try the delicious local food!!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
7. Re: San Jose for just one day

See if you can find some ceviche. Raw fish soaked in lemon juice and mixed with very finely chopped onion, pepper and cilantro is great stuff! Rondon and jerk chicken are highly recommended on this coast along with rice and beans cooked in coconut milk. Mouth watering as I write!

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 6
8. Re: San Jose for just one day

Find a chicharronera near where you are staying, I don't think you'll find that in Bocas.

9. Re: San Jose for just one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 16, 2014