We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train, taxi or private driver to Cartago?

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
reviews: 9
Train, taxi or private driver to Cartago?

14. Re: Train to Cartago - Wonderful news!!

Jul 09, 2013, 9:12 AM

We are planning to be in San Jose for one day before we head back to the states. We would love to visit the basilica in Cartego. We have never been to Costa Rica, so I have no experience. We will not have a rental car, and we are traveling with our 3 children. We are staying at the Marriott in San Jose(Heredia), and would this train be good? Or how much would a taxi cost each way? Will it be difficult to get a taxi to bring us back to San Jose later? Sould we hire a driver, and what would that cost? Thanks for any help. We will be going before the end of the month.

Thanks so much!

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 38
1. Re: Train, taxi or private driver to Cartago?

I think that with the Basilica is your main objective and with three kids in tow that a cab would be the least stressful. I love the train, but you would have to purchase tickets a head if time or line up and take your chances – besides taking a cab to the train station anyway. There will be no problem getting a cab back. It will be about $25.00 each way. Not sure what a tour would cost because most would include others activities like the volcano, Orosi Valley and Lancaster Gardens. These are all nice and if you are interested in any or all take a tour.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: Train, taxi or private driver to Cartago?

Great advice by Cana Tico...and if somebody knows about Cartago is him...agree 100% with his advice...

roadadvisor

Dallas, Texas
3. Re: Train, taxi or private driver to Cartago?

How long will the cabride take?

Edited: 5:17 pm, July 09, 2013
Barrie, Canada
4. Re: Train, taxi or private driver to Cartago?

Maybe 45 minutes - a little more or less depending on traffic.

Barrie, Canada
5. Re: Train, taxi or private driver to Cartago?

Maybe 45 minutes - a little more or less depending on traffic. Nice ride though!

Dallas, Texas
6. Re: Train, taxi or private driver to Cartago?

Thanks so much! I appreciate all of your help!

Barrie, Canada
7. Re: Train, taxi or private driver to Cartago?

Con mucho gusto. The municipal museum, central park and indor central market are all within walking distance of the Basillica too if you have extra time.

Dallas, Texas
8. Re: Train, taxi or private driver to Cartago?

Thank you once again! What is the Central Park? It is easy to see? My kids would like that! And what kind of things are sold at the market? Are there any restaurants there you would recommend?

Barrie, Canada
9. Re: Train, taxi or private driver to Cartago?

With a couple of quick Google searches you will find a ton of information and photos, but essentially everything is centrally located and easy walking. The greatest distance you will have to walk is from the Church to the central park which is about 5 blocks. The park and Church Ruins will be a big hit for sure. Along the side of the park there will be many parked cabs. Soda Rio de Janeiro in the Market (In the market you will find everything from meats and vegetables and herbs to souvenirs and clothing. ) is good for typical fare but I am not sure how fussy your kids are. I am more inclined to hit a soda or cantina than a kid friendly restaurant. Paseo Metrópoli is a huge mall with everything from fast food to fine dining – a short cab ride away. There is a Rosti Pollos there which might be a good mix of authentic and familiar for the kids.

10. Re: Train, taxi or private driver to Cartago?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 12, 2014