We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"SOLID" car rental near SJO

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
reviews: 19
"SOLID" car rental near SJO

The last time we were in CR, the rental agency across the street from Hampton Inn had a different name. Now they are called 'Solid." Good? Bad? ok?

7 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 57
1. Re: "SOLID" car rental near SJO

If the company is Solid Car Rental Costa Rica www.solidcarrental.com then they are reasonably good.

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
2. Re: "SOLID" car rental near SJO

Solid has a good reputation here in Costa Rica.

Colorado
reviews: 19
3. Re: "SOLID" car rental near SJO

Thank you

Los Angeles...
reviews: 1
4. Re: "SOLID" car rental near SJO

This is the MOST HORRIBLE rental company I've ever dealt with

If only one of the following happened to us when dealing with this company I could blame it on bad luck or misunderstanding but all of them at once can't be coincidence, it's their understanding of doing business.

1. Our flight was landing in San Jose at 6AM, so to make my reservation I called Solid and asked if they were open that early.

The lady on the phone said that its "no problemo, no problemo" and that someone would be waiting for us at the airport.

I repeated several times that it is very early - 6AM, but she assured me someone would be waiting.

When we landed, an airport worker directed us towards a group of several other people waiting for Solid. One of them asked me "did they tell you too that they will be waiting for you with a sign with your name on it? We've been here already for half an hour".

We waited 45 minutes, while all other rental shuttles drove by several times and no sign of Solid. Tried calling them as well, no answer. Finally we all took cabs to their office.

When we entered their office, the man at the counter didn't apologize when he said that they just opened.

2. The car we got was old, very dirty inside and barely drove. It also broke down after 2.5 hours of driving.

First we noticed that the mileage meter didn't work, then it stopped showing the speed, the check engine light went on, then the check stearing wheel light followed.

We stopped and called Solid to ask what to do. We were only 30 min away from their other location in Dominical, but they said they don't have the exact same car over there, so we have to wait where we are until somone brings the car from San Jose.

So we were getting cooked for over 2 hours at noon on the roadside waiting for them to bring us the exact same crappy car from San Jose, because giving us an upgrade would be unthinkable.

3. The car we rented originally came with an empty tank, so we gassed it up full before it broke.

We mentioned that when we called them, but the operator told us that the driver bringing us the replacement didn't have money for the gas, so they would refund us for it when we returned it.

When the replacement car arrived we insisted that the driver wrote this on the contract that the broken car got returned full. He didn't want to do it, but after calling the office we finally got it in writing.

Our return flight was leaving early, so we had to drop off the car at the airport parking because they were not open yet.

When I checked my credit car statement afterwards, not only did they not refund us for the gas, but they charged us an additional $30!!!

Contacted them about it, no response - no surprise either.

I don't believe any of this is coincidence. No matter how much money you seemingly save it's just not worth it.

We wasted a 'solid' 5 hours waiting at the airport and on the side of the road, their attitude caused us lots of stress, we got scammed on the final payment,

and during the whole time no one even showed a sign of responsibility for anything that was happening.

Reading also the reviews here, after the fact unfortunatelly, makes me sure this is the standard:

itravelcostarica.com/transportation/car-rent…

5. Re: "SOLID" car rental near SJO

Just returned our round trip Solid rental car at Puerto Jimenez airport. They had met our incoming plane and promptly delivered us Rav 4 4wd. The car was in great shape, ran well and they actually gave us an upgrade to an automatic. The car return was equally easy and we paid what we had expected. Experience was quite good and we would rent from Solid again on our next trip back to The Osa Pennisula.

Asheville, North...
reviews: 21
6. Re: "SOLID" car rental near SJO

We just returned from an 8-day dental/vacation and were happy with our rental from Solid. They agreed to meet us at Nova Dental to start our trip. DH filled out the paperwork while I was in the chair. At the end of the trip they picked up the car up at Adventure-Inn, both at no extra charge. The 4x4 Jimmy wasn't new but it proved dependable as we drove all the way down to the town of Drake on the Osa Peninsula and back up through the mountains and we did a lot of exploring on the worst roads in the country.

Kattia with Solid responded to my many emails offering pricing solutions to each scenario I gave her until we made a final decision. I don't think we could have asked for more.

Edited: 10:12 pm, April 06, 2014
Asheville, North...
reviews: 21
7. Re: "SOLID" car rental near SJO

We just returned from an 8-day dental/vacation and were happy with our rental from Solid. They agreed to meet us at Nova Dental to start our trip. DH filled out the paperwork while I was in the chair. At the end of the trip they picked up the car up at Adventure-Inn, both at no extra charge. The 4x4 Jimmy wasn't new but it proved dependable as we drove all the way down to the town of Drake on the Osa Peninsula and back up through the mountains and we did a lot of exploring on the worst roads in the country.

Kattia with Solid responded to my many emails offering pricing solutions to each scenario I gave her until we made a final decision. I don't think we could have asked for more. 7 days, $515.92 including free mileage, basic insurance (CDW+SLI) and plate fee.

Edited: 10:13 pm, April 06, 2014
Reply to: "SOLID" car rental near SJO
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted