We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thrifty Rental Deposit?

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Apollo Beach...
reviews: 33
Thrifty Rental Deposit?

Thrifty is saying if I purchase all the extra insurance they will only do a $300 hold on my credit card. But I hear others saying that it's a hook, that they'll actually hold $1000 or more when you actually go to pick up the car. Anyone know for sure?

5 replies to this topic
Istanbul, Turkey
reviews: 49
1. Re: Thrifty Rental Deposit?

I was qouted $3000 unless you take their combine insurance package. Have a look at my thread below - I have a pretty detailed report on Thrifty's renting policies!

Red Bank, New Jersey
reviews: 3
2. Re: Thrifty Rental Deposit?

Don't do business with Thrifty! They have cost me over $1,100 in addition to the rental in various ways. (See post)

London, England...
reviews: 81
3. Re: Thrifty Rental Deposit?

Jchip

I rented through Thrifty in November. Took all the extras n for a Toyota Rav4 (brand new) they only put $300 hold on my credit card.

Mexico City, Mexico
4. Re: Thrifty Rental Deposit?

Thrifty is a scam. On their Mexican website they offered me a Jetta for $289. When I got to the agency in the Hotel Presidente in Polanco, DF, they told me the price would be either $,1200 with a full insurance or $1,100 with a basic one. They did not mention any deposit or offer me a cheaper car. The service was very unprofessional: the attendant was at the phone all the time why he was explaining me the conditions. TO BE AVOIDED!

Costa Rica
reviews: 23
5. Re: Thrifty Rental Deposit?

David was lucky to have had a good experience with them. That is not the usual case.

I would avoid Thrifty as they do not have a good reputation here in Costa Rica and there are several excellent agencies to choose from that do have good business practices and good reputations.

Reply to: Thrifty Rental Deposit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted