We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Terms and Conditions clarification

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Istanbul, Turkey
reviews: 49
Car Rental Terms and Conditions clarification

Hey folks (and roadadvisor whom I have PM'd separately as well)

I was wondering if I might be bold enough to pick your brains. After having exhaustively read the travel forums about car rental we booked a Suzuki Jimny through economycarrentels.com after receiving generally positive feedback. It turns out that our rental is going to be with Thrifty and a quick forum search seems to show rather negative experiences with them overall.

The main thing I am concerned about however is the issue of insurance. We have full insurance included in our rate which I quote from the Terms and Conditions of our contract below:

"Full Insurance Package

Third party liability (Liability Insurance for damages or injuries to any 3rd party outside the vehicle)

Collision Damage Waiver (covers you against damages to your rental car)

Theft protection (covers you against theft of the rental car)

With this package you are FULLY PROTECTED, except for the first portion of the claim (Excess)

in the event of damage or theft to the rental car: Excess: 1200 USD for damages & theft."

So does this mean we will still be liable for other insurance? Will Thrifty still try and pressure us into paying for additional cover?

Thank you for taking the time to read this rather long missive from a total stranger! I look forward to your replies!

HTH

Istanbul, Turkey
31. Re: Car Rental Terms and Conditions clarification

A reply from Thrifty Costa Rica regarding thrid party insurance which I would like to make public.

Good morning XXXXXXXXX

Hope you are doing well.

XXXXXXXXX, regarding your coverage concern we will like to inform you that Mrs. Jeannette Ruiz our Sales and Marketing Director gave your case the corresponding follow up and she has confirmed us that the coverage package you accepted through Economycarrentals.com is adequate to our country’s government rental policies.

Mr. Hashmi, the economycarrental voucher you sent us goes from XXXXXXXXX to XXXXXXXXX and the total amount reported of USD$194.70 is accurate, as you might be aware we offer optional coverage (additional extras or Supplementary insurance purchased locally are payable at the rental desk) and in this particular case we kindly request you to allow us to explain you the following:

If you pay $194.76 you have to pay $1200 USD for Excess, however we will like to offer you an extra coverage of $17 per day to avoid Excess and have non-responsibility in case of an accident; It means you can take the advantage to pay $85 for the 5 rental days with an extra coverage which will give you the benefit to avoid the $1200 Excess and will allow you to be covered.

This information is provided in order to inform you and to offer you our services by this way you will have certain options that you can choose at your convenience.

Hope we have clarified your concern. Do not hesitate to contact us for further information.

Cordially,

Selene García S.

Customer Service.

Thrifty Car Rental - Costa Rica

Email: customerservice@thrifty.cr

Tel: (506) 2523-3200 – Reserv: (506) 2523-3232

Istanbul, Turkey
32. Re: Car Rental Terms and Conditions clarification

And this was my reply....

Dear Ms Garcia

Thank you very much for your prompt and detailed reply. I am extremely impressed with the level of customer service provided by Thrifty Costa Rica. Unfortunately, I have made a similar enquiry with the Thrifty Head Office in the US and I was told the following:

"COVERAGES PURCHASED ON THIRD PARTY WEBSITES ARE NOT ACCEPTED IN COSTA RICA. "

As a result I have elected to cancel my booking this time with economycarrentals.com.

However, I would not hesitate to use Thrifty again in a different context solely based on the prompt and detailed responses I have received. It is just unfortunate they are contradictory.

33. Re: Car Rental Terms and Conditions clarification

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 25, 2014