We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in San Jose-US Citizen from Milwaukee

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
59 posts
23 reviews
Safety in San Jose-US Citizen from Milwaukee

I will be leaving in less than a month for Costa Rica. We recently had a well traveled young man lose his life in San Jose. Is it safe in the area of Alajula by the airport for a female to walk around?

Thanks

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,663 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Safety in San Jose-US Citizen from Milwaukee

First of all, the young man who lost his life, actually got lost and was in a really bad neighborhood. Not someplace that tourists would go - unless they were lost. Imagine the worst/most dangerous neighborhood in Milwaukee.

So not all of San Jose is really dangerous. The most common crime is petty theft.

However --- the airport is not actually in San Jose but in Alajuela, the next town over. It's about 30 minutes from San Jose.

Alajuela is, in general, much safer and less crime than San Jose. But really, the airport area is not an area to be "walking around." About the only "walking" you would do is to walk from the terminal to one of the bus stops. Just like most airports, it's not conducive to walking around.

What, exactly, did you have in mind? Where do you want to go?

Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
2. Re: Safety in San Jose-US Citizen from Milwaukee

I'm a single woman of a certain age. Just spent the last 10 days here in San Jose, and Uvita. Walked down city streets in the early evening - dark at 5:30 pm, I also traveled on public buses. Felt safe, but did take the appropriate precautions ie not flashing expensive technology, wearing revealing clothes, etc. Precautions I would take if I was in any city. Not sure that I'd feel as safe in Milwaukee as I do here in San Jose.

I'm from Canada, where most people don't lock their front doors.

milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
59 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Safety in San Jose-US Citizen from Milwaukee

Thanks for your response. I find Costa Rica to be a beautiful and intriguing country. The people that I have met have been helpful and friendly. I found the incident with the Milwaukee native to be a reminder to always be aware of your surroundings and trust your judgement. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences in San Jose. I am more inclined to explore this area before I leave.

Thanks

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
307 reviews
4. Re: Safety in San Jose-US Citizen from Milwaukee

Thanks for all your helpful inforamtion.

5. Re: Safety in San Jose-US Citizen from Milwaukee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:45 am, July 25, 2014