We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6:00 a.m. flight out of SJO. What time should I be there?

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
milwaukee, WI
reviews: 20
6:00 a.m. flight out of SJO. What time should I be there?

How long is the line here for the departure tax? Please let me know if I have this right. When I arrive I should pay the departure tax first. Then get in line for the airline I am flying and get my boarding pass. Then go through customs.

Should I get boarding pass first and then departure? I think that when I flew out of Liberia this was the order I followed.

Confused??

Thanks

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
1. Re: 6:00 a.m. flight out of SJO. What time should I be there?

Not quite. First, pay your departure tax and fill out the form. The line for paying departure tax moves very quickly at SJO so no worries there. Be sure to have a pen, your passport and your flight information handy to fill out the form. (You will need your passport for the departure tax as well as $29. It's best to pay in cash.)

After that, you go and stand in line to check in with your airline and get your boarding pass. Then, you go through security just like any other airport. You only go through customs upon arrival and not when leaving.

For a 6 am flight, you should be there NO LATER than 4 am. Remember you have to stand in line with the 200+ people on your flight and most airlines will not let you board if you have not checked in at least an hour before the flight.

You can also check www.flightstats.com and see how many other flights are leaving around the same time to get an idea of how crowded things will be. Of course, the time it takes to check in with the airline will depend a lot on how many people they decide to put at the check-in counters.

La Fortuna de San...
reviews: 114
2. Re: 6:00 a.m. flight out of SJO. What time should I be there?

Hattie is right (as usual)...when you get to the airport, even if the line to pay your departure tax is looooong don't worry, it moves so fast! I've gotten there before and was freaking out when I saw the line but they have so many people working the counter it really is very efficient and quick!

The only thing that will save you about 30 minutes is if you're flying Business Class or are a frequent flier...with the larger airlines (like American) you'll be able to walk right up to the counter. :-) If not, don't push your luck...I've waited in the Security Line anywhere from 10 minutes to 45 so just get their early so there's no stress!

Long Beach...
reviews: 17
3. Re: 6:00 a.m. flight out of SJO. What time should I be there?

You can also pre-pay the departure tax at most majot hotels, there is a small extra fee for this convience. I prefere this method as was able to fill out the form without standing in one line to the next. Went straight to the check-in counter with passport in hand.

Huntsville, Canada
reviews: 1
4. Re: 6:00 a.m. flight out of SJO. What time should I be there?

If departure tax not paid you will not get checked in. For Canadians on a package tour (especially Nolitours) your departure tax might already be worked into your package price which means you go directlly to checkin.

5. Re: 6:00 a.m. flight out of SJO. What time should I be there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 17, 2014