We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rentals in Costa Rica

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Car Rentals in Costa Rica

Hi! We are heading to Costa Rica and looking for a two week car (4x4) rental. Any suggestions or reviews that you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

20 replies to this topic
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
1. Re: Car Rentals in Costa Rica

i recently rented with wild rider. they rent older cars for a substantial savings over other agencies. the car we had had minor scratches and had obviously been put through some hard miles, but it drove perfectly fine, started and stopped like any other car and the wild rider service is second to none. they will meet you at the airport with your car and pick it up from there for a small charge. we got lost coming into san jose and on to alajuela, but they waited patiently for us to find our way. i've rented with alamo, adobe, and mapache in the past, all with good result, but i thi8nk i'll be renting with wild rider from now on.

www.wild-rider.com

Advocate Harbour...
reviews: 11
2. Re: Car Rentals in Costa Rica

I just got back from Costa Rica, rented from Service. Excellent service - why the name perhaps. They didn't give me the run around about using my credit card insurance, in fact openly invited it. Everything was as quoted. I didn't rent a 4X4 but the little swift they gave me got me into places like Vieja and Tapanti no problems. As long as its dry season, the cars are more comfortable than 4X4. Our car was almost new and ran perfect. I would definitely rent from Service again.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 83
3. Re: Car Rentals in Costa Rica

We had good service with Hola car rentals for two weeks earlier this winter. They are an affiliate of EZ Rentals in the USA. Don't get sold on an SUV or high end vehicle. It is better to blend in and have something with a few scratches and dents on it that the company cannot blame you for on the vehicle's return. Remember, you will have a quote for rental that likely does not include the $10 to $25 a day required for minimum mandatory insurance above and beyond what your credit card covers.

See: tripadvisor.ca/…48103341 for further information on rentals and companies to go to or stay away from.

St. Augustine, FL
reviews: 9
4. Re: Car Rentals in Costa Rica

We rented from Hola. The car was expensive as it was. I contracted for a Montero 2010-2012. What I received was a worn 2006 and they would not lower the cost and there were no other cars to rent during the Christmas holiday. After numerous complaints, I have received no resolution. In addition, we had a flat tire on a very good paved road because of a piece of metal debris we ran over. We found then that the proper Montero jack was absent and the jack in the car was not adequate to lift the vehicle enough to change a tire. We had to pay someone to help us. Again, they charged our credit card in full and would not reimburse us the difference.

SCAMMERS!!!!!! Don't rent from this company.

Ghent, Belgium
reviews: 126
5. Re: Car Rentals in Costa Rica

Wild-Rider is the best rental companie we had in the whole world. 4x4 very well maintained.

Very good explications about the car, the itinary, the road conditions. They are very helpfull and correct. The owners are German people and they know very well their cars and the country.

6. Re: Car Rentals in Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, May 21, 2013

7. Re: Car Rentals in Costa Rica

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:32 pm, July 29, 2013

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
8. Re: Car Rentals in Costa Rica

Do read the information in the top questions section where this topic is covered at length and you can read the insurance information which is a must.

9. Re: Car Rentals in Costa Rica

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, July 15, 2013

London, England...
reviews: 81
10. Re: Car Rentals in Costa Rica

Reported again.

Delio - give up, I'm just going to keep reporting you!!

Reply to: Car Rentals in Costa Rica
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted