Away: Probably you got flagged for "self-promotion" etc. Just so you know.
Albi: If you are wanting to go to the northern Pacific area, flying into SJO and out of LIR makes a lot of sense. From Tamarindo to SJO is 5 hours; from Tamarindo to LIR is under two hours.
If you are wanting to be close to SJO for your last day, I would just choose Alajuela rather than Atenas or Grecia.
Road conditions on major highways are good. Some secondary roads are gravel but mostly in good shape.
If you are flying out of LIR, here is a list I put together for someone else of "Things to do Near Liberia":
1. Do the One Day Adventure Pass at Guachipelin. www.guachipelin.com
2. Visit Rincon de la Vieja National Park for hiking, volcano, waterfalls, hot springs, mud pots, etc.
3. Go horseback riding, fishing or boating
4. Visit Santa Rosa National Park and see the old farmstead known as "La Casona" - now a museum - it figures prominently in Costa Rican history. There are several nearby trails to choose from and one longish trail ends at a deserted beach.
5. Take the boat trip through Palo Verde National Park. www.paloverdeboattours.com
6. Take the boat to Witch's Rock for surfing or just visiting a beautiful beach.
7. Visit the town of Guatil where you can see authentic Chorotega pottery being made.
8. Head to the Tenorio National Park for the hike to the Rio Celeste.
9. Go to Llanos del Cortes waterfall. Huge waterfall with small swimming area. There are often monkeys in the trees overhead.
10. Visit Las Pumas Wildlife Rescue Center in Canas where you can see all sorts of animals, including big cats.
11. Arrange a sailing trip with the Sea Bird out of Playas del Coco. Snorkeling or just a quiet sunset cruise.
12. Take a whitewater rafting trip on the Tenorio River or a float trip on the Corobici River. www.rinconcorobici.com