We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with Teenagers....please help

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
colorado
reviews: 1
Traveling with Teenagers....please help

Hi all,

I will will be traveling with four teenagers to ages 15,16,18 and 19 to Costa Rica in May. (Yes ..I know i'm nuts) Anyway, I have terrible flight times from Colorado and I get to San Jose airport at 5 am Thursday May 23 and I leave San Jose airport on June 1 Saturday at 6 am. So just about a total of 9 days. What I would like to do is check out Vulcan Poas and maybe la paz waterfall garden then over to Arenal for a day. From there I was hoping to drive to Santa Teresa and chill out on the beach for about 6 days (Maybe learn how to surf and read a book with a drink in my hand) Then back to San Jose for that early flight back. Any suggestions and criticism to this itinerary would be helpful including driving routes. I read somewhere that roadadvisor has 18 kids so he must have some good advice for me

P.S. I promised my wife I would not throw any kids into any Volcanoes to make the trip easier, but thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: Traveling with Teenagers....please help

It's definitely doable, and definitely a good route. I'd give yourselves at least two nights in Arenal. Plenty to do up there. Canyoning for sure.

If you're willing to give up Poas, you could land, get picked up around 7am for a rafting or canyoning trip that would then drop you off in Arenal. Pick up your car in Arenal, or just have a private van drive you to Sta Teresa, and rely on taxis and tours for moving around La Fortuna/Arenal and Sta Teresa.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
2. Re: Traveling with Teenagers....please help

Go for it...just be carefulll with people trying to sale you travel services...ask for ICT credentials ...and please do not pay any transfer in advance!

The best is from SJO to Arenal...then to the beach...maybe in the way back you can visit Poas...

I love kids but I only have two lovely daughters...

You are not nuts at all...Costa Rica love kids and kids love Costa Rica...

I meet a lot of people at that early flight...great flight and you can enjoy a great day...

Another nice option...is from SJO to Poas maybe some great breakfast on the way up...and a visit to La PAz Waterfalls....then down to take the road to San Ramon...then to La Fortuna...that will be a nice busy day...but is doable 100% ...

roadadvsior

colorado
reviews: 1
3. Re: Traveling with Teenagers....please help

Looking at this again... I think i'll save la paz for another trip and I was also planning on a rental car big enough for all with 4 wheel drive. cheaper if I just do tranfers or partial tranfers picking up rental car in Arenal? What do you think?

Thanks

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
4. Re: Traveling with Teenagers....please help

Check out Montezuma, it's in the same area as Santa Teresa. Personally, I like it much better, but check it out early in the trip in case you fall in love with it like I did. Some great waterfalls in the area.

Regardless if you go to Montezuma or not, check out Montezuma Expeditions they do shuttle rides/transport between several of those places http://montezumaexpeditions.com/schedules.htm

If you don't think you need a car down there, you probably don't. They're a little pricey, the roads aren't great and the signage is worse. The last 6+ trips down there I think I've only rented once and that was because I had my (not very active) mother with me.

Gary

Gary

5. Re: Traveling with Teenagers....please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 am, December 17, 2013