We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phones

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lumsden,sk
reviews: 2
cell phones

Do cell phones work for texting in Tamarindo.We are from Canada

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
1. Re: cell phones

They should work fine, I have never tried an international text but I do not see why it wouldn't work. More may have some more insight into this, sit tight.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: cell phones

They work great...as good as local messaging!

ROADADVISOR

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 17
3. Re: cell phones

I assume you are asking about using your local phone as opposed to buying a Costa Rican SIM

There are actually a few things you have to consider.

It may depend on the phone. Not all Canadian carriers are GSM and those that are do not use the same frequency as Costa Rica 1800. For 3G Costa Rica and Canada do use the same frequency.

The majority of the newer phones are quad band - and 3G - so if your phone

should work and you should be able to send texts - but it depends on your phone and what it supports.

Not sure who your carrier is - but for example here is some info for Sasktel

www.sasktel.com/cgi/intnl_roaming_search.cgi

Other carriershave similar info on their pages.

If you plan to use an unlocked phone and buy a local SIM there is a lot of info in the Top Questions of the main Costa Rica Forum

raquel

4. Re: cell phones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 23, 2013