We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weight training in Costa Rica

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 1
weight training in Costa Rica

Can anyone recommend any beach area or town close to the beach in Costa Rica that has a decent weights gym? I'm looking for somewhere that you can do some decent lifting as opposed to a small hotel gym with a couple of machines. Thanks

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 115
1. Re: weight training in Costa Rica

Jaco has 2 good gyms. One on the south end has a/c and one near the bridge that is seems to be more locals, no a/c. This one even has a boxing ring, I don't think the a/c one does.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: weight training in Costa Rica

Is one by the entrance of Manuel Antonio Estates of course in Manuel Antonio....it is at Quepos,...looks like they know what they are doing...maybe RAQUELITA or LivAndLarge can help us here!

roadadvisor

San Jose
reviews: 22
3. Re: weight training in Costa Rica

I just read the other day about a Gym in Tamarindo that seems to be the right option for you. From their website they seem to have different options and they have even been reviewed here tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g309253-d2…

New York City, New...
4. Re: weight training in Costa Rica

That all good advice. Thanks vm for responding. Anyone else with any info on good weight training gyms in CR please let me know. I know that there's a Golds GYM in San Jose. I want to know if there's a gym of that calibre on the coast. Thanks again. J.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
5. Re: weight training in Costa Rica

Well the Jaco gyms have all the free weights and equipment you need, they may or may not be in a fancy enough setting for you so I am not sure what you mean by calibre. Even Golds Gyms differ from gym to gym. If you are looking for something specific and different then what you posted in the OP then you will have to give us more detail. Are you looking for types of machines or cardio equipment?

New York City, New...
6. Re: weight training in Costa Rica

I'm just looking for a good weights gym:

Squat rack. A solid flat bench. Olympic barbells. Decent amount of plates.

I'm not bothered about cardio machines (can run outside). I don't care if its not new and shiny. I just need the basic solid weights equipment.

Thanks again for any advice. J.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
7. Re: weight training in Costa Rica

Both Gyms in Jaco have what you want. Platinum Gym is probably more what you are use to. The other gym, I think it use to be called Corpus, not sure what it is named now is fine, just not as fancy. You can email them both with specific questions. Or you can contact Jaco 360 they advertise for Platinum.

Edited: 11:24 am, August 26, 2012
Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
reviews: 61
8. Re: weight training in Costa Rica

I think Gimnasio Platinum in Jaco will fit your needs and the closest to the caliber you have in the states. The facility in Quepos (Gimnasio Mucho Musculo) are good folks too but is a much smaller facility, more like a local gym than a Golds.

Edited: 11:41 am, August 26, 2012
New York City, New...
9. Re: weight training in Costa Rica

FYI:

Golds Gym San Jose: Report:

Location: Radison Hotel, San Jose. Enter through the main gate. Walk along the left hand side of the main building. The gym is round the back.

Cost: Daily charge: USD9. I think if you want to join its USD75 for membership then around USD40 per month.

Weights equipment: I trained twice. One back session, one leg session. You will get a work out here. Free weights cage. Smith machine, Leg Press machine. Lat pull/ arm curl/ tricept pull down station. Leg curl, hamstring curl machines. Calf raise machine. Enough plates for a couple of people to lift heavy at the same time. I didn't look at the dumbells.

Cardio equipment: Couple of bikes, couple of running machines.

Staff: A number of trainers on hand.

Changing rooms/ showers : small and clean.

New York City, New...
10. Re: weight training in Costa Rica

FYI:

GYM Natural Center Samara, Costa Rica : Report:

Location: On the road immediately parallel to the beach. Next to the school. Big green sign out front. You can't miss it.

Cost: Daily charge: USD8. Weekly Charge: USD 20. Monthly Charge USD40. (USD44 if you pay using a card)

Weights equipment: Smith Machine (the runners are a little unstable). I wouldn't use it. However it does have supports on the outside of the runners so you can use the free weights olympic bar. This means you can use the Smith Machine supports for free squats and the adjustable bench for incline press and shoulder press.

Flat bench and olympic bar.

Cable station can be used for cable flies, tricep pull downs, bicep curl etc.

Pull up bar and dip bar station.

Leg curl and leg extension are on the end of the flat bench. (bit ropey)

There's not actually that much pig iron in this gym. I only saw four 20kg plates plus a number of 15s 10s 5s etc. If you are really going to lift heavy or if there are a couple of people lifting You'll have problems. You will get a work out but low weights/ high reps is the solution here.

Cardio equipment: Bike. Eliptical, running machine. (bit ropey) But I can't see any point doing cardio in a gym if you've got the natural beauty of the beach as an alternative.

Staff: There was one guy looking after the gym. Helpful. There's also a cafe place with a bunch of food.

Changing rooms/ showers : (unknown)