We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation from the airport in San Jose to Jaco at...

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa
transportation from the airport in San Jose to Jaco at...

I am looking to find out about transportation from the San Jose airport to the town of Jaco. Our flight does not get in until 8:30pm and all the shuttles seem to run during the day. Can a private taxi or shuttle be recommended for a reasonable cost?

USA
1. Re: transportation from the airport in San Jose to Jaco at...

I would not travel the road at night for safety reasons, and would stay overnight in a hotel near the airport. Arrange for a shuttle early the next morning.

Costa Rica
2. Re: transportation from the airport in San Jose to Jaco at...

I have to second that; with customs and baggage process, you may not be out of the airport before 10 p.m. Almost any hotel (Alajuela, the airport's actual location)can help you arrange transportation for the next morning. The run to Jaco is not bad, as driving in CR goes, and you can be there before mid-day easily. Enjoy!

Ottawa
3. Re: transportation from the airport in San Jose to Jaco at...

Thank you very much for the replies to this question. If our villa is booked already for that night- it would be best on our pocket book to travel out to Jaco that night as staying overnight near San Jose would cost us an extra night at a hotel plus we would still have to pay the transportation cost to get out to Jaco the next day. Shuttles may be cheaper but not too much. We are not driving ourselves and would hope the local drivers would know the road. Is the safety comment due to the road conditions or something general personal safety at that time of night? I appreciate any advise.

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
reviews: 1
4. Re: transportation from the airport in San Jose to Jaco at...

You can do anything you want with a private driver if you're willing to spend the dough. As for scheduled shuttle services, consumer demand is probably not the only reason they don't run after dark. The issue with safety is not really a personal safety issue in terms of highway robbery or anything like that. During the day the road down from the highlands is an extremely narrow twisty one with oncoming vehicles often passing on blind turns. At night you wouldn't have much traffic (again for a reason) so oncoming vehicles wouldn't be the problem. But you'd still have all those curves, except now you'd have to negotiate them in near complete darkness. They do have guardrails and reflective signage in a few spots but it is nowhere near as often as they really need it. Also, I don't care how frequently a local driver plies that road, they aren't likely to have every twist and turn literally memorized like the back of their hand. You can chance it if YOU want and would PROBABLY make it safe and sound. I'd still bite the cost of a $60 hotel room. My life (or at least simple peace of mind) is worth more to me than that.

Ottawa
5. Re: transportation from the airport in San Jose to Jaco at...

Thank you kindly Prolijo. Your insight is very helpful and appreciated. I am looking forward to visiting this beautiful country.

canada
6. Re: transportation from the airport in San Jose to Jaco at...

I can recommend a private driver at a reasonable cost but afraid I can't offer any comment on the safety issue of driving at night as we never had to.

His name is Alberto and you can reach him at albertoamador@gmail.com

Good luck and have fun!!