We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento...
car rental

Need help with car rental advice.

Flying into San Jose,CR. Should we get car at airport or is it possible to get a car in the central part of San Jose city? staying at Presidente Hotel.

We will be driving to MA, then coming back to SJose for 6 days.

Should we ditch the car once back in SJ?

If so, is there a drop off point for the car?

so confused.......?????heeeelp!

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
1. Re: car rental

You can have a car delivered to the hotel...for a fee of course...but might I suggest you shuttle or taxi (use the red taxis with yellow triangles only) to the hotel, then back out to the rental company that is off-site, in other words, not in the airport...you will save on taxes.

Most of the rental companies are back out near the airport, I recommend Tricolor http://www.tricolorcarrental.com/ and you want to check out the car for damage and scratches in daylight, as you will be responsible for whatever is not acknowledged. On the way back from MA, drop the car off, and head back to your last nite's hotel. This way you will save some $$$s, and you don't really want to be driving in San Jose Centro where the hotel is located.

If you must, they have a second office on Paseo Colon, on the way to downtown, where you can pick up the vehicle. be aware of the mandatory insurance costs, they should explain them to you upon reservation.

Have a great holiday.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: car rental

The best idea maybe is to take a taxi to Presidente hotel in San Jose....and have the car deliver there...

You can dealt with well know companies as National...Budget...Hertz...Toyota...Alamo...dobe...Service...

Great idea of yours to get a taxi...two choices...Orange official taxis from SJO or red taxis with the yellow triangle at each front doors...do not deal with pirates taxi...you will get what you pay for..!!

tHANK YOU FOR VISITING OUR COUNTRY!

roadadvisor

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
3. Re: car rental

Sound advice about pick up and drop off. Do read the information from the 'top questions' panel on the left hand side of the screen about mandatory insurance and search the forums for reviews of rental car companies before you book - although nearly every company has mixed reviews, you should be able to see the ones to avoid and the ones to investigate. Recent forums would suggest that Service, Vamos and Wild Rider are the best of the smaller firms (and cheapest) but you can find big names too. A point that was recently made on a forum about renting cars is that many of the international firms are not actually based here but have their company name as a franchise.

A bit of time spent researching now could save you a huge headache when you arrive! Good luck with your planning and hopefully, the rest of your vacation planning is a lot of fun!

Sacramento...
4. Re: car rental

great tips thanks!

So Paseo Colon is downtown or before getting into downtown?

We have a Hertz reservation at that location, for a Hyundai Accent. Think I will see if they will deliver to us...just the thought totally relieves my stress!

Yes, understand re the insurance mandates......and will take pictures of car for prior damages.

Hyundai Accent....smaller than a Toyota Corolla? We are 4 adults each with a carry on size suitcase...22"....any experience if we and luggage will all fit?

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Grecia, Costa Rica
5. Re: car rental

Paseo Colon is the major road from Sabana Park to the beginning of the pedestrian walkway (downtown) (and if you got out and walked at that point 20 mins to your hotel door), and you are under 10 mins via taxi to your hotel. Perhaps a GPS is in your future to help with you getting back out of SJ?

As to vehicle size, yes, it is smaller, average size with carry ons and you will be fine.

Have a great trip.

Edited: 8:12 pm, July 15, 2012
Sacramento...
6. Re: car rental

terrific! thanks for the infor.............and YES indeed! GPS is totally part of the 'plan'!......thank goodness for technology!!!!!...........

We wish we would of had when we drove Italy several years ago.....

Grazie!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
7. Re: car rental

And I imagine Italy had signposts and street names.....GPS is a worth while investment in Costa Rica!

Grecia, Costa Rica
8. Re: car rental

DE NADA, and

THANK YOU for coming to our beautiful country.

I hope your road trip is trouble free.

Solon, Ohio
reviews: 67
9. Re: car rental

Just returned from Costa Rica. Picked up a rental at Liberia airport and dropped off in San Jose 10 days later. Things to consider.

1) Would recommend a 4 wheel drive unless only in major cities.

2) Rented Toyota RAV4-bigger than in US with more trunk space (fit 4 w/luggage), liked the mid-size car for narrow roads

3) Should be able to waive all but liability(about $12/day) if using a Visa/MC (Get statement from your insurance company just in case) since it should specifically state it covers rentals in CR. AMEX may not cover this(my corp Platinum does not)

4) Google is not accurate in CR so consider a GPS or be prepared to get lost/ "explore" new areas. Signs may not be clear.

5) Add 50%-100% to driving times given on Google or some websites for longer routes particularly if in the mountains(e.g. Arenal-Manuel Antonio)

6) Have fun, hope this helps.

(We used National@$520 total for 10 days, but others are just as good. Difficult to impossible to find national office in SJ(No sign and wrong address on brochure, socould not find even though we drove by it 6 times)

Edited: 10:20 pm, July 16, 2012
Baton Rouge...
reviews: 68
10. Re: car rental

You have gotten great advice about the car rentals, but are you sure you want to spend 6 nights in San Jose upon your return? Personally I think once you've seen the museums, there is not a lot to keep you in the city. If you are planning 6 days worth of day tours, you can find much nicer lodging outside of the city. Maybe you are coming for a convention or dental work, etc. that requires you to stay in the city, otherwise, I'd make other plans.

Just my two cents worth! :-))