We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything to do in San Jose for a few hours

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
reviews: 21
Anything to do in San Jose for a few hours

We might have a few hours on our first night into the country, before we head off on our adventure on Nature Air the next morning. Is there anything to do near San Jose for a few hours, or should we just go to hotel and rest up?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
1. Re: Anything to do in San Jose for a few hours

Depends on where your hotel is located. If the hotel is actually in the center of San Jose you could check out the Gold Museum or my favorite the Jade Museum for an hour or 2 and then wander through the pedestrian mall and nearby parks in the center of town. Alternatively if you're staying outside town suggest you check out one of the mirador restaurants in the hills overlooking the city. Your hotel can advise on closest option and make reservations for you.

Last choice and great way to fill a couple of hours if you're staying in Alajuela or west of the airport is to head to Zoo Ave, a small but charming and gorgeously landscaped zoo.

Edited: 3:10 pm, July 11, 2012
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 7
2. Re: Anything to do in San Jose for a few hours

All of crfan' s suggestions would be on my list too, with the addition of InBio Park in Heredia which is a lot of fun!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: Anything to do in San Jose for a few hours

Maybe hire a driver and drive around the city...that will give you some kind of idea about San Jose!

roadadvisor

Tennessee
reviews: 21
4. Re: Anything to do in San Jose for a few hours

Very cool thanks. I've taken alot of your advice crfan in planning my trip so if its a bust, I blame you. No seriously though, thank you for all your help. Staying at Las Caletas for a week with an overnight at Sirena. Very very excited.

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
reviews: 1
5. Re: Anything to do in San Jose for a few hours

The Butterfly Farm is also very close to the airport.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 74
6. Re: Anything to do in San Jose for a few hours

How about if you have a few "night time hours?" I'll be in around 5:00 staying at the Adventure Inn?

I've spent a few days in San Jose before but bringing the other half this time. I still haven't figured out if we will take the morning shuttle or afternoon. Open for suggestions and will leave it up to him.

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
7. Re: Anything to do in San Jose for a few hours

I would speak with The Robinsons at The Adventure Inn and ask them for suggestions. Eric frequently can be found in San Jose Centro, so he'll have some great ideas.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
8. Re: Anything to do in San Jose for a few hours

Just find a good tour operator like MARBELLA they run daily tours ...and ask them what they may have available...you really do not need any middle person...dealing direct with service providers you can even ask for discounts...

San Jose centro is huge...during the day about 2 million people hard to find a person...but maybe nice to have a nice walk around Central Avenue and Central MArket!

roadadvisor

Edited: 7:20 pm, August 01, 2012
9. Re: Anything to do in San Jose for a few hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 19, 2013