We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mapache car rental

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coppell, Texas
Mapache car rental

I am not sure this is in the right place but thankfully I found out how dishonest Mapache car rental was before i ever left home. I spoke to Javier Andrade via e-mail for 1.5 weeks trying to figure out our rental car. Everytime he wanted me to fax or e-mail back an agreement letter with our hand written credit card info and a copy of our passport. I kept explaining that I wanted all the drivers to be able to drive confirmation, what vehicle and where,when we were to receive the car and drop it off plus a GPS.This was for an 11 day rental. Never once did I receive an e-mail confirming this imformation but he always started out saying to send in the rental agreement. Very dishonest and felt conniving. Finally we moved on to Dollar. Just beware of these folks.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
1. Re: Mapache car rental

You are the second person in the last couple months who have complained about Mapache. I always had good luck with them but it has been a few years since I used them and it sounds as though not everything is as it was with these guys. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
2. Re: Mapache car rental

Our family and friends use Mapache every time they visit and have never had a problem. This has been several times per year for the last 6+ years. Based on that, I would say they are an honest company.

Washington DC...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Mapache car rental

Hello-

I just returned from a 1 week vacation in Costa Rica. My friend and I want to warn you about Mapache Car Rental in San Jose. We arranged for the rental through CentralAmerica.com (Paula Mata). We paid Paula for 6 days of car rental and we were to pay Mapache for the local insurance in Costa Rica.

Mapache showed up with the car on time and picked it up on time. The problem is when they picked it up, they claimed that we had only paid for 5 days of car rental. We showed them the voucher from Paula and they essentially ignored it and took the credit card slip and charged us for an extra day of car rental despite our multiple protests. We even called their manager, Roberto, who assured us that after he talked to Paula, they would be sure to clear things up. The next day, I talked to Roberto and he assured us that he had received the appropriate voucher from Paula and that our credit card would only be charged for the mandatory insurance (and not for the extra day of car rental).

When we got home, our credit card had STILL been charged for the extra day of car rental!!!! We emailed Paula, Roberto. Received another email from both parties stating that the charges would be fixed. But to no avail. We have protested the charges with our credit card company.

Bottom line: Don't rent from Mapache. They act very nice and are re-assuring but then they charge you for things that they are not supposed to despite their promises.

Email me off line for more details if you want them. But we really tried to give them every chance to fix their "mistake" and not give them a bad review...but they have failed.

San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: Mapache car rental

I remember a few years ago they have had some terrible reputation...then almost no reviews about them bad or good...now I have had see some people not very happy with them...

Thank you for let all us know!

roadadvisor

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 32
5. Re: Mapache car rental

We were in Costa Rica for 3 weeks this year. We picked up our car from Mapche in La Fortuna and droped off in Liberia, never had any problems.

They even changed our car for us. We had orignally reserved a 4x4 and they asked where we were driving and they said that we just needed a car.

Signed all of the paper work beforehand. We took all of the insurance(not through the credit card) and everything went very smooth, just dropped off the car and they drove us to the airport.

It is unfortunate you had a bad experience.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
6. Re: Mapache car rental

Thanks for posting your experience. I have been seeing negative reviews and was surprised. I have rented from them (but not for some time) and never had any trouble. Glad you had a good time.

San Jose, Costa Rica
reviews: 1
7. Re: Mapache car rental

I always use Dollar, and when they dont have availability I call U-Save...

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
8. Re: Mapache car rental

@ludisamo - there are appropriate places to advertise such as Google. All of your posts are about rental cars. Forgive me if I am wrong, but it is hard to believe any traveler is that interested in only rental car companies.

San Jose, Costa Rica
reviews: 1
9. Re: Mapache car rental

@explorinCA - I thought Tripadvisor is a webpage where you can recommend good services or what to do or not in CR; I had a wonderful experience with dollar and so I recommend them

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
10. Re: Mapache car rental

It is a place where you can and should recommend good services. It is also a place for real travelers writing about real experiences. The vast majority of people that take the time to write about one positive experience will also take the time to write about other positive experiences. This holds particularly true for CR, where there is so much to do and see.

TA is also frequently used as a marketing tool by some companies, which is against the TA policies. This generally leads to a lower quality experience for other people that are on here trying to find information via other travelers.

I sincerely apologize if you are a real traveler. Please understand that it can be perceived as questionable when all posts are about one rental car company.