We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solid Car Rental?

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cypress, California
reviews: 1
Solid Car Rental?

Has anyone rented from Solid Car Rental? Planning a trip for the coming summer and they seem to have better rates than the name brand companies.

24 replies to this topic
Grants Pass Or.
reviews: 3
1. Re: Solid Car Rental?

I used them earlier this year and plan on using them again next year. I had no surprises or issues.

Newport Beach...
2. Re: Solid Car Rental?

I just returned from a trip to CR and rented a car from them in Dominical. They seem to have offices in smaller towns where renting a car is typically difficult. I rented a late model Mitsu Montero and it was clean and in excellent condition. On my last trip I rented from Adobe near SJO and they were great as well.

Calgary, Alberta
reviews: 47
3. Re: Solid Car Rental?

We rented from them in Puerto Jimenez and they were good. The only thing is that the girl who worked in the office was not always there - both when we picked up and dropped off the car, the guy in the garage had to call her in. It didn't take long for her to arrive, but I'm glad we had time to spare before our flight.

Bethesda MD
reviews: 15
4. Re: Solid Car Rental?

Good experience overall. They were very responsive to emails, rate was as advertised and good, offered to store our bags securely for a few hours between returning to Alajuela and needing to check in at SJO. Only mixed point was we thought we'd reserved a new-model compact SUV, but what they had for us (at the same rate) was a 2-year-old larger SUV. In retrospect I'm glad they pulled that switch. Because they're the only company with an office in Puerto Jimenez and they also have an office in Dominical, and having a nearby office has to help in the event of any car trouble, I think they should be on the short list of any tourist renting a car to drive to the Osa.

Menlo Park
reviews: 26
5. Re: Solid Car Rental?

I just got back from Costa Rica this weekend and I rented a car with Solid Rental Cars. I would give it 4 out of 5 stars. I rented a 4 X 4 "Jimny" from San Jose for 3 days and since I was only in Costa Rica for a week, I wanted a one-way rental with a drop off in Sierpe. We chose Solid because I believe they are the only one with a one-way option to Sierpe. The total cost was $283 with basic insurance. The price also included the extra $100 fee for a one way rental.

The set-up for the rental was easy through email. We did order a GPS device for $10 per day but they did not have any left when we arrived. Getting out of San Jose can be a little tricky without a GPS or a good map. We just stopped and asked for directions a few times and it worked out.

Since we stayed in Dominical, we were told to go to the office there to work out the drop off. The office was easy to find and Diego was very kind to work with.

We dropped off the car in Sierpe. The next day, we Skyped Diego in Dominical to confirm that everything was fine. He said there was a chip in the windshield and that we had to pay for it. Once I told him that I had all of the paperwork for the "pre-rental car walk-around" from the San Jose office, he said calmed down and said not to worry. We ended the call on good terms.

I think solid is good company but I would just be sure to bring a good map and spend 15 minutes on the pre-rental car examination. Be sure to mark every chip, scratch, etc. Also, I would take photos of all parts of the car for documentation.

Madrid, Spain
6. Re: Solid Car Rental?

I had a bad experience with them back in November 2011. They are very nice but not effcient at all and the worst thing is they overcharged us because they are a complete disaster.

1) PRICE: We hired a Suzuki Jimmy (best price we could find) and they offered in their Web an additional 5% discount if we paid with AMEX. The discount was never applied and I could shared with you all the e-mails going back and forth blaming each other copying us (the client) without a solution to us.

2) MAINTENANCE: Suzukis are not properly maintained. The firts one we hired broke down and we had to wait 5 hours to get a replacement which could not be a 4WD so we need to change it again few days after. The second had a bad wheels balance and we could not go over 70km/h (which is not a problem in most roads but still made driving a pain)

3) ORGANIZATION: They were supossed to pick me up to return the car and leave me at the airport and lucky me I had enough time because they were delayed in more than 2 hours simply because they had forgotten

Not a good experience if you want to travel without surprises. Nice people, yes, but not worth the good prices if they don't know how to properly run their business.

We rented from the office in Alajuela

Colorado
7. Re: Solid Car Rental?

We had a great experience in February, 2012. It's a small company and they're out to do their best. We picked them because they serviced some smaller towns we were going to and offered drop-off at no extra cost. We had a great car at a reasonable price. The people we dealt with couldn't have been friendlier or more efficient. Also, it's very easy to arrange a car directly with the office you want by telephone or email. I'd highly recommend them.

San Jose, Costa Rica
8. Re: Solid Car Rental?

When I visited Costa Rica, I rented with Poas Rent a car. The prices are good and people very friendly. They only have few offices, so pay attention where to drop off the car.

escondido
reviews: 6
9. Re: Solid Car Rental?

Stay far far away from Solid Car Rental. It was a headache. The car was crap and ill-maintained. It squealed for minutes each time we started. I swore it would fall apart anytime we drove on a dirt road (which is most of Costa Rica). They advertise lower prices than their competitors on their website, but do not honor them. They charged us additional fees on top of mandatory insurance, and insisted there was tax on car rentals--he pulled out the calculator and showed us what it would be. We protested, but he was such a slime ball and would not relent. We complained to the manager via email, and never heard a response. Upon returning the car and settling the bill, we confronted the agent on the discrepancy. He pulls out the itemized bill (the first time we had seen it) and claims he did not charge tax. No, he didn't. He rolled the extra fees into the daily rate. When we asked about that, he claimed he could not honor our quoted daily rate, because "he did not make the reservation". The girl that did make our reservation was hiding in the back. We got some of our money back, but not all. Skip solid, spend a few more bucks, and work with a company that has a valid reputation.

Costa Rica
10. Re: Solid Car Rental?

Your experience with Solid is not the norm. Solid has an excellent reputation here in Costa Rica and I am surprised you were treated this way. Every business has its problems now and again, of course. I have recommended Solid many times and will continue to recommend them.

Sorry you had this experience -- it obviously wasn't pleasant for you.

Reply to: Solid Car Rental?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted