We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Park City, Utah
reviews: 2
Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

Do not use Thrifty Car Rental at the San Jose airport in Costa Rica! We had a terrible experience with them over New Year’s week. I hope to save travelers like us from repeating this experience.

55 replies to this topic
Jacksonville...
reviews: 4
31. Re: Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

We also just returned from a 10 day trip to CR and rented a diahatsu from Wild Riders. Nothing but praise from this Florida girl. Thorsten had Jose meet us at the airport and we ended up back at the office for paperwork then we were off. The car had no issues and took us everywhere we needed to go.........up hills, down hills, through rocky roads and the GPS made life SO easy. Their prices are very reasonable compared to others I checked out. They were friendly, down to earth people running a legit business. They gave us great advice and tips which we used and so glad they filled us in on what we needed to know while we were out traveling this beautiful country. Had an appointment to meet them back at the airport to drop off the car before our flight and they were there on time. They have better reviews than most of the big name rental companies. I will definitely use them again when we go back.

32. Re: Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, July 15, 2013

London, England...
reviews: 75
33. Re: Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

Reported as solicitation.

34. Re: Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, July 15, 2013

London, England...
reviews: 75
35. Re: Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

Reported again.

Delio - give up, I'm just going to keep reporting you!!

36. Re: Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:07 pm, July 26, 2013

Middlesex, New...
37. Re: Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

I had a terrible experience with thrifty. To make a long story short. Just stay away from them. The rate shown online is not the rate you will get. They will add charges and inflate your rental. I ended up paying close to 90.00 per day for the entry level manual transmission suszuki.

Raleigh, North...
reviews: 2
38. Re: Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

I have to disagree with Colorado Jewles. The reason I'm cruising this forum is that I know I'll have buy car insurance on my upcoming trip and I'm trying to figure out how much Thrifty will charge. The last time I was in Costa Rica, I bought the bare minimum insurance and went through an uncomfortable spell while the rental company (not Thrifty) went through a ridiculous inspection of my vehicle when I returned it. They tried to say that the undercarriage was damaged. Anyway, that didn't stick, and I didn't have to pay anything extra. But, this time I want to buy the full coverage and just drop the car off without any hassle. Anybody know what the full coverage cost for a manual SUV for 8 days? By the way, on our first visit to Costa Rica, we drove from SJO to Puerto Viejo, to Arenal, to Jaco. We had a few close calls and definite fender bender scares, so thats why I want the full coverage. Driving in Costa Rica is very unpredictable.

To the poster that complained about the rental company not being open at 12:06AM. Really? First, where were you planning on driving at that hour? Second, your plane was late, so go after your airline for the overnight charge.

To the poster who complained about the deposits. Yes, they will charge a significant deposit for the vehicle and the GPS. If your customers were "one timers" and leaving the country after the transaction, you'd do the same.

I don't want to sound like I'm completely backing the rental companies (or Tican companies in general), but some of these posts are obviously unfair, and buyers should go into this experience with eyes wide open. Be prepared to pay as much, if not more, for your car insurance as your car. Know that they will keep an open credit card receipt with your signature on file. Your Platinum Card, Black Card, Silver Card insurance will not work in Costa Rica. You will still need to buy Costa Rican insurance. Don't prepay your gas...EVER.

Best of luck!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 7
39. Re: Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

Full coverage cost depends greatly on the car rental company but I think your point that peace of mind is priceless is a good one. Have you checked if your credit card company will cover the CDW?

Merritt Island
reviews: 40
40. Re: Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

Thrifty is the WORST car rental agency in Costa Rica!! We have been going to Costa Rica for years and years and we always rent cars there. We have had a couple of borderline bad experiences with Thrifty, but this last one was OUTRAGEOUS! First, we were quoted a price of $350 for the week. Always when we have been quoted a weekly rate, that is what we have paid (plus maybe a few bucks or so). This time, we were charged $650.00!!! When we looked over the car upon pick-up, we saw a scratch or two and told the girl to mark it on the sheet -- nothing major. When we returned the car, the attendant went directly to a scratch on the rear bumper that he seemed to know was there and pressed on it. It was obviously old. He wanted to charge us for a tear in the bumper that we absolutely did not cause. We drove that car from the rental dealer to our home and back -- period! After a HUGE argument, they backed off, but my guess is that they pushed that slit together and will charge the next customer for it. Who knows? They may have charged the last 6 customers for it as well!!

Reply to: Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted