We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Park City, Utah
reviews: 2
Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

Do not use Thrifty Car Rental at the San Jose airport in Costa Rica! We had a terrible experience with them over New Year’s week. I hope to save travelers like us from repeating this experience.

57 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

Sorry to heard that...

roadadvisor

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 14
2. Re: Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

Sorry to hear of your problems.

It would however be even more helpful if you gave forum readers an idea of the nature of your issues with Thrifty.

Pura Vida

raquel

Park City, Utah
reviews: 2
3. Re: Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

Do not use Thrifty Car Rental at the San Jose airport in Costa Rica! We had a terrible experience with them over New Year’s week. I hope to save travelers like us from repeating this experience.

We were flying in late from Chicago. Thrifty was aware of our situation. I emailed Thrifty to reconfirm the pickup with flight # and time. They said they would be there to pick us up when the flight arrived. When we arrived in Costa Rica the Thrifty employee was not at the airport. No one answered at the phone # we were given. When waiting outside of the airport for an hour local people were harassing us constantly. I was not sure what to do, but I remembered that the Holiday Inn was near the thrifty office. We were just lucky that they had rooms available. We had to stay overnight, since everything was closed at that late hour.

In the morning my husband went to the Thrifty office to find out what happened. Our flight arrived at 11:50pm, 6 minutes late. We got out of customs just after 12:00am. Supposedly, the Thrifty employee left at 12:00am. We were so angry. We asked Thrifty to pay for our hotel stay, which seemed completely fair. They refused. Not only were we stuck in San Jose for the night with a $250 hotel bill, but then Thrifty tells us we have to pay for car insurance of $150. We needed proof of additional car coverage with us, that was their policy.

We have since contacted Thrifty Corporate and they said they cannot help us with reimbursement for the hotel stay. Please think twice about renting with Thrifty. No one wants a wonderful trip to be ruined by a poorly run company like Thrifty!

Houston, Texas
4. Re: Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

I have had similar trouble with the folks at Thrifty. My wife and I used to live in Costa Rica and felt that Thrifty was a reputable company to do business with. When our flight arrived we had someone there to help us which was nice. However, the girl at the counter that took care of my reservation was not professional to say the least. Infact, she was so unprofessional that I remember her name and that was 3 weeks ago. Francina (the employees name) misunderstood when I said that I did not want the 54 dollar "discounted" tank of gas upon return. I filled up my tank before returning the car and low and behold I just recieved the bill for an extra 54 dollars that was unauthorized. American Express took care of it. I plan to call back tomorrow and complain to the central office.

San Jose
reviews: 22
5. Re: Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

I don't want you to believe that I don't understand your being upset for what you feel as lack of service from Thrifty but I don't want some things out I. The hopes it will help other Travelers with similar situations. First, your flight was to land al sot at midnight, right? And you didn't have a reservation I. san jose for the night? Where were you planning to head at that hour of the night? staying in San Jose was the safest, logic choice anyways. I would definitely not recommend anyone arriving at that hour, especially if they dont know the country and the traffic here to start a drive anywhere at that hour. It's always best to have a clean, fresh start in the morning. I would say, take a taxi instead to a nearby hotel, and don't pay for an extra day of rental car, but take the car early next morning. Also, And I dont know if Thrifty has a policy regarding airport office hour service, but most rental car companies won't wait after 12 midnight for delayed flights.

I wish you good luck with your claim, and again, I hope this helps future Travelers in their decision making process.

San Jose
reviews: 22
6. Re: Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

My apologies for the typing mistakes in my previous note, it's all the fault of this spelling corrector! I just meant to say that as much as I unederstand the poster, I still feel the things I pointed out before could help others in similar situations

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
reviews: 28
7. Re: Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

CRpuravida is correct anyone arriving that late should not expect Thifty or any other rent a car to stay open. It is unwise expecialy first time visitors to go driving at night without hotel reservations. It apears Thifty were very unprofessional to lead you to belive you could get your car at that time expecially with the small margin of time. Flights get delayed, dalays in imigration, customs or bags. I always add 1 hour from landing to cover these eventualities.

If you arrive late at night book a hotel near the airport, take a taxi or hotel shuttle, have the chosen rent a car company deliver or pick you up at the hotel in the morning refreshed.

Pt. Townsend, WA.
reviews: 3
8. Re: Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

This is one horrible car rental agency They try every trick in the book to

seperate you from your money. For instance:

1.) The Toyota emblem was glued on the front of the car with silicone that caused it to fall off because the retaining pins were removed...cost:$45.00

2.) They tried to charge me and additional day for being late when I returned the car 15 hrs. early. They relented only after I got angry.

3.) On their invoicing they advertise as part of Advantage....Funny thing is, Advantage and Hertz says they have no affiliation with Economy. Legal Department is now involved at Hertz.

4.) Their help line rings somebody's house, where upon a screaming child was put next to the phone and I was hung up on.........twice!

Do your homework on line about these people, or you WILL be sorry. These guys are as far away from PurVida as it gets.

Albany, New York
reviews: 9
9. Re: Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

I don't know what it is about car rentals, but it always seems like either it goes perfectly or terribly. I've traveled a lot, and rented a lot of cars and rarely does it go smoothly. On my last trip to Costa Rica we rented from Mapache, which is the number one rental place in CR with tons of great reviews. And while there was nothing wrong with the car, the big issue was that they repeatedly tried to ring the credit card up for an extra $500 dollars. We happened to be renting a car that with deposit came to $1,150, and we were putting it on a card with a $1,200 limit. I talked to people at Mapache repeatedly, saying that all that could go on the card was $1,200, and they assured us that would be fine. They dropped the car off at hotel aranjuez, which was very nice, but the card wouldn't go through. Tried multiple times, they tried to blame it on our card. They couldn't wait with the car while we called our credit card company, so they left. We had to make a phone call via skype to Visa using Aranjuez's wifi (can't say enough great things about them, they let us stay there well after our checkout for the three hours this took to clear up, great place and great way to start a trip off). Anyway, our credit card told us they were trying to ring up 1,650, and that it was above the limit of the card, which we were aware. So we called Mapache back, they came back and it was all the same. I repeatedly told them that all that would go on the card was 1,200, and they said "ok, we'll try it one more time." Of course it went through this time. It took over three hours to get it straightened out, which really delayed us on our drive to Puerto Viejo. After we returned back to the states we called Visa and again, they were trying to ring up more than we agreed upon. We can't imagine what benefit they have doing this, since surely we would have caught on. But we were very glad that we had a card with a 1,200 dollar limit because it prevented them from overcharging us. That was just my two cents on CR car rentals, and in general all rental places. You just have to watch them like a hawk, and stay on top of any and all charges. And if it comes to it call the main offices for the company (if its something like Thrifty, Budget, Dollar, etc) who are very often willing to give refunds and the like.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
10. Re: Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica

Thank you Kerberos...

Nice post...but one small correction...I have no idea where did you get the information that MAPACHE as you wrote...which is the number one rental place in CR with tons of great reviews...

That is not true at all...far for being the best in our country...a lot of rent a car a lot better than MAPACHE.

Sorry about your inconvinience..next time maybe try somebody else...a big company...mom and pop rent a cars like Mapache...no matter how many cars they may have...most of the time you rent not only a car a big headache is a bonus!

roadadivsor

Reply to: Terrible Thifty Car Rental, San Jose, Costa Rica
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted