We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel tips for Costa Rica

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Worth, Texas
reviews: 4
travel tips for Costa Rica

my wife and i recently returned from an incredible vacation in costa rica! we did a particular type of trip and it's one that i would highly recommend. instead of our normal 'tropical' type vacation where we camp out at a high dollar resort and lounge by the pool with a paper umbrella in my drink - this trip was the complete opposite. we spent 1-2 nights in each location - did some exciting day trip/excursion in each and then moved on to another area. we spent time at the beach, in the mountains, by a lake, in a cloud forest, in the city, etc. we happened upon an unbelieveable tour company that handled all the arrangements including hotels, transportation, day trips, etc. our activities included exploring nature with private guides, canopy tours (zip lining above the rainforest), white water rafting, horseback riding, etc. every one of these trips was better than the next. if you have specific questions or would like me to turn you onto this tour company (a route i would highly recommend) just drop me a line at onehelluvaguy@hotmail.com. we loved our trip and that country so much that we're planning on moving there as soon as possible! such beauty you've never seen. nice people (who actually LOVE americans - a rarity these days), clean, safe, exciting, etc. i look forward to hearing from you all soon. take care and pura vida! scott

USA
reviews: 3
11. Re: travel tips for Costa Rica

I used Friends of Nature tour vendor just outside and on the left of the entrance to the Gran Hotel Costa Rica. Yellow front and on second level.

The manager is a bird and nature expert and speaks English..

Fort Worth, Texas
12. Re: travel tips for Costa Rica

ladydi and c-belle,

if you'd like to pick my brain about my trip - find out about the tour company i used, etc. just email me at onehelluvaguy@hotmail.com. i'd be glad to help. scott.

Fort Worth, Texas
13. Re: travel tips for Costa Rica

lady di and cbelle... i didn't hear from you - so i'll tell you that our first and last nights were spent in san jose. then 3 nights in fortuna (lake arenal area), 1 night in monteverde the 3 nights in jaco beach. my wife is back there now with her brother. .. checking out the property that we bought. we're looking to move there in the next year or two. it's an amazing place! take care. scott

14. Re: travel tips for Costa Rica

What is ziplining?

Fort Worth, Texas
15. Re: travel tips for Costa Rica

in many places around costa rica they set up these steel cables and stretch them tight high above the canopy of the rainforest. then, with a harness on your body - you get attached to the cable with a metal wheel and...zip... there you go. it's a thrill ride high above the ground with views like you wouldn't believe. lots of fun.

Seattle, WA
reviews: 11
16. Re: travel tips for Costa Rica

I feel I don't want to miss ziplining in the rain forest but...is it hard to do? Are you always pulling yourself downward? Conquering the height off the ground might be the maximum stress I can handle. I'm planning on going there in October. Hopefully not too much rain (that I'm use to in Seattle) and humidity (which I'm NOT use to).