We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel tips for Costa Rica

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Worth, Texas
reviews: 4
travel tips for Costa Rica

my wife and i recently returned from an incredible vacation in costa rica! we did a particular type of trip and it's one that i would highly recommend. instead of our normal 'tropical' type vacation where we camp out at a high dollar resort and lounge by the pool with a paper umbrella in my drink - this trip was the complete opposite. we spent 1-2 nights in each location - did some exciting day trip/excursion in each and then moved on to another area. we spent time at the beach, in the mountains, by a lake, in a cloud forest, in the city, etc. we happened upon an unbelieveable tour company that handled all the arrangements including hotels, transportation, day trips, etc. our activities included exploring nature with private guides, canopy tours (zip lining above the rainforest), white water rafting, horseback riding, etc. every one of these trips was better than the next. if you have specific questions or would like me to turn you onto this tour company (a route i would highly recommend) just drop me a line at onehelluvaguy@hotmail.com. we loved our trip and that country so much that we're planning on moving there as soon as possible! such beauty you've never seen. nice people (who actually LOVE americans - a rarity these days), clean, safe, exciting, etc. i look forward to hearing from you all soon. take care and pura vida! scott

methuen, ma
1. Re: travel tips for Costa Rica

I am very much interested in traveling to Costa Rica and doing some of the things you mention. I'm looking at a tour company called traveland.com, but I would like to know about other opportunities. I'm thinking of going at the beginning of March. Is it very hot and buggy? What type of clothing is best? Thanks.

Fort Worth, Texas
2. Re: travel tips for Costa Rica

the guy i used is at www.costanicatours.com. he's wonderful, professional and affordable. i've only been there during the dec-jan season - but you can always count on some humidity. along the coasts is particularly muggy. good luck.

Mission Viejo, Calif
reviews: 1
3. Re: travel tips for Costa Rica

We are going to San Jose in a week and a half. No reservations anywhere, just flying in for 8 days, first time. Any suggestions so that we can see a variety of places, not too strenous (hiking--we are seniors) on a limited budget. We will arrive on Wednesday 8:00 am, so could possibly do something that day. Thanks, Janet

Bend, OR
4. Re: travel tips for Costa Rica

Janet if you are on a budget and would like to see lots of wildlife and beautiful coastlines, go to the carribean side to Puerto Viejo. It is a great little village that is the most inexspensive, but full of great people and the most amazing wildlife in the country. Casa Verde is beautiful, clean, $37 a night I believe now, and they just built a pool for their little compound. They actually have a website if you look them up.

Pura Vida!

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
reviews: 16
5. Re: travel tips for Costa Rica

Janet

Another option in the South East of CR is Aviarios Del Caribe near Cahuita. Easier if you have your own transport, but reachable by other means.

They have lovely rooms, a heron and egret roost, caymans at night and they act as a sanctuary for orphaned sloths. They are based beside a river, with a small patch of forest in the grounds and excellent breakfasts. Definitely worth a couple of days.

Our trip report on www.avengerpenguins.com gives details and some other ideas that might help.

northampton, MA
reviews: 40
6. Re: travel tips for Costa Rica

I agree that different locations and lots of short adventure tours are the best. We did the ziplining, rainforest, Manuel Antonio wildlife and Fincas Naturales night tour, a horseback riding with dinner tour with a great naturalist arranged by Si Como No and another horseback riding including along the beach arranged out of Villa Caletas (located between Jaco and Quepos in Herradura ro something with an H). Loved them all. We also really enjoyed the Cafe Britt coffee tour which we didn't expect to because there was a big crowd, but it was managed superbly so we got to ask all the questions we wanted to, to be entertained and to talk to the tour people as much as we wanted to. Also the Cafe Britt gift shop was the best we saw for nice souvenirs. And the coffee is cheaper than in the supermarkets.

Palm Beach Gardens...
reviews: 3
7. Re: travel tips for Costa Rica

Hi, we are planniing on visiting in San Jose and surrounding areas for a week 2/14. Friends are already there. They could not get to the Carribean coast due to mudslides and tunnel problems. Do you have any information on that?

We are interested in canopy tours, maybe whitewater rafting, and even some golf. Tour company name and contact as well as price information would be helpful.

Also any input as to clothing requirements and food water safety. Seems to be very warm there now. We live in FL.

Corpus Christi, TX
reviews: 39
8. Re: travel tips for Costa Rica

Sounds like the kind of trip we want to take. Please email any information about travel/tour agencies, costs for tours, and type of accomodations on the tours. Did you rent a car or were you on tours the whole time. How easy/safe is it to get around if we rent a car? We will be going the first 2 wks of June. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Corpus Christi, TX
reviews: 39
9. Re: travel tips for Costa Rica

Hi. It sounds like you had a great trip. We are planning to be in Costa Rica the first two weeks in June and need all the help we can get. Did you rent a car or use a travel agent/tours the whole time? How expensive are the tours and how many people are on them. We don't mind small groups but hate anything over 10-12 people. Any names of hotels and travel agents would be greatly appreciated. We like the 1-2 nite stays and then move on concept unless we find paradise someplace. Thanks for any info you can provide.

los angeles
reviews: 1
10. Re: travel tips for Costa Rica

just wondering, what areas of costa rica did you stay in?