We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
4 posts
San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

Hi,

I am considering a trip to San Jose for Dental implants. This is supposed to be one of the top destinations for this.

Has anyone traveled there for this purpose?

Can you advise on your experience there?

Which dentist/oral surgeon did you use?

What was the total experience like?

Are there any other forums that anyone knows about for the purpose of sharing this type of medical tourism info.?

Thanks in advance!

228 replies to this topic
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
77 reviews
171. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

Kim - so sorry about your nightmare. I tried to watch your video but apparently, it is not available as of my post.

I can tell you from my own extensive treatment, that my experience was the opposite of yours. It's been roughly seven years since I had a full-mouth restoration done, including root canals, setting of titanium posts, re-building of some teeth, and Zircon crowns. This included all but six teeth.

I have not had to go back to the dentist other than for regular cleaning. I have had no pain, no complaints, and I have enjoyed a perfectly aligned bite and jaw ever since my treatment.

As always, research is key. I did A LOT of it and visited various dentists before deciding on one. I, for one, am not familiar with Dr. Coto Calvo. Where did you find him? Where did he receive his training? Who recommended him? Did you look at references? Did you talk to patients before letting him work on you?

You are correct in regard to the legal system - it is extremely slow and sometimes impossible for a foreigner to maneuver. It is certainly something to be aware of.

At any rate, thank you for sharing this valuable, albeit painful, experience with all of us and with all prospective medical tourists who arrive at this thread in the course of their research.

Milaca, Minnesota
Level Contributor
9 posts
19 reviews
172. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

Just got back from our third trip to Costa Rica. This time we rented an apartment in Atenas and stayed for a month! That let us do some "touristy" stuff as well as the main purpose for the visit, which was to get some needed dental work done.

We went back to Dr. Eduardo Castro (he is Dr. Anglada's partner), since we have had such good results from the first two trips. The implant my husband had done two years ago is just fine (lets him eat anything), and my work has been good, too. This time it was me who needed the majority of the work done, had to have 5 crowns. Turned out I had some deep cavities under the old, bad crowns, so I'm really glad Dr. Castro fixed the problems before I was in real trouble. It made the dental work a bit more unpleasant than last trip, but it was bearable. And it is so good to be able to eat cold things again without jumping through the ceiling! I think that's why I have been having headaches up through the temple on that side for the last year.

We got to meet other online friends while we were there (Hi Byron!), and talked to several patients from the US, Canada, and even England who were there for implants etc. I also visited two hotels near the Sabana Sur office of Clínica Cleo (that's Anglada / Castro's official business name), because I have a friend who is planning to come down by herself, and I wanted to check out some of her options. Hotel El Sesteo is only half a block from the clinic; it's smaller, more personal, and really nice. Apartotel La Sabana is about a 10 minute walk on the north side of the park, and it's a bit bigger but very nice too. Both of them have apartment rooms available that are fully equipped, and if you mention you're a patient of Dr. Anglada's, you can get some good discounts. I'm sure they would do the same for other dentists, too.

Don't want to make this post any longer! But there is lots to say about the dental stuff, the hotels, and some of the fun things we got to do in our spare time. If anyone wants more info, reply to this or feel free to send me an email at cathytousey@gmail.com. I don't mind phone calls either (it's fun to share this info with others). (218) 666-1021.

Nokomis, Florida
Level Contributor
284 posts
210 reviews
173. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

I am considering Dr. Cavallini. Are you still satisfied ?

Longview, WA
Level Contributor
57 posts
174. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

I would use Dr. Anglada if I were you. I had three implants done by him and he is incredible - hardly any pain. I research this for two years before getting them done. I have heard horror stories about other dentists in the area. Be careful.

Dianne

Milaca, Minnesota
Level Contributor
9 posts
19 reviews
175. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

I have to say I agree with Dianne, I still think Dr. Anglada (and Dr. Castro) are great. It has now been almost 2 years since we first visited them, and my husband's implant is holding up fine. All the crowns I had done (9) are good, and I haven't had any problems with them. Since we went down there for the first time, quite a few of our friends have been to see Drs. A and C, and they have had good experiences too. I know there are many excellent dentists in Costa Rica, and that other people have had good results with Cavallini, Flikier, etc. But, I can only speak from our own experiences! Which have been GOOD.

Once again, if anyone would like to talk to me in person, that's fine; our phone number has changed to (320) 968-3300. Still the same email, though; cathytousey@gmail.com. We are thinking of going back to Costa Rica, don't know when, but there is so much more to see.

1 post
176. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

Hello, I have also considered getting my dental work in Costa Rica. Checking around to see if anyone has used Anglada and Castro clinic. Plz if you know anything about these people I would love to here! Good Luck!

Nokomis, Florida
Level Contributor
284 posts
210 reviews
177. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

I just returned from Costa Rica where I have begun the implant process under Dr. Anglada. I chose Costa Rica after reading about it in AARP and here in Trip Advisor and after speaking with a friiend who is a dentist in the US. I chose Dr. Anglada because of his reviews on TA, speaking with past patients, review of his credentials, conversations with him and his representatives. I spoke with several other dentists, but Dr. Anglada's qualifications (teacher, lecturer, research, Peace Corps and US Emassy dentist) swayed me towards him. The process is very simple. Send him x-rays, talk with him; he will propose a treatment plan and cost. One that has been decided you can set up your travel arrangements. His office can suggest hotels at various levels that are close to his office. Your appointments will be scheduled. Their driver will meet you at the airport and take you to the office for your first appointment (That is usually to meet Dr. Anglada and to do X-rays). My extractions and implant happened the next day. 3 or 4 days later I went back for review. I will return after 4 months for the crowns and bridge. That process and schedule is standard. I have been thoroughly please with my choice. Dr. Anglada is skilled, friendly, charming and fluent in English. Every dentist I contacted in my own research phase made contact and was very quick to respond to my questions. Dr. Anglada may not be the cheapest (he was in the middle of the price range of the 6 or so dentists I contacted), but he is worth every cent.

Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
178. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

I'm just back, May 22nd, initial treatment one tooth extracted, three implants and temporary crowns done by Dr Marco Cavallini. Great experience, I was impressed with the professional setup and technique. As an RN, I know about good medical practice. Dr Marco is sensitive, skilled and experienced. His staff is excellent. Doesn't hurt that his prices are the most reasonable I've found, he also guarantees the work for life. There is an option for $300 to buy travel/accom insurance for one year after treatment so that you can return if there is a dental problem. If you don't buy it you can still return, but have to pay your travel expenses. All staff are fluent in English and Spanish.

Edited: 10:21 am, May 24, 2013
Milaca, Minnesota
Level Contributor
9 posts
19 reviews
179. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

Hi Aaron, as you'll see from my post above (and other places here), we have used Anglada and Castro several times now, and really like them. If you want to contact me that's fine, use my email or phone in Post 175. Take care, Cathy.

Ketchikan, Alaska
1 post
180. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

Did you get your dental work done in CR? How did it go? I am thinking of going because they want to charge me 6K to have one implant here. Looking for people that have gone and what their experience was.

Gail

Reply to: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted