We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

Hi,

I am considering a trip to San Jose for Dental implants. This is supposed to be one of the top destinations for this.

Has anyone traveled there for this purpose?

Can you advise on your experience there?

Which dentist/oral surgeon did you use?

What was the total experience like?

Are there any other forums that anyone knows about for the purpose of sharing this type of medical tourism info.?

Thanks in advance!

223 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

You be surprised how many people are coming from every where for dental work.

Our Drs. are great...and a lot of them holding diplomas from USA Universities as well.

Most of the time the cost is way down,from American Drs. and the quality excellent!!

Hopefully you will find what you are looking for.

I will ask a friend to send you some information about it, hard to recommend anybody, but this lady use to manage one of the largest dental clinics in San Jose...

Luis Road Advisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Stamford...
reviews: 15
2. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

I went to San Jose the first time to get my teeth fixed.

Granted I am an adventurer but understand most peoples reluctance to jump on a plane. (my wife included)

I have since been back 5-6 times and love it, and became good friends with my dentist, who I would recommend highly. He actually uses me as a reference for potential american patients, and I have fielded many, many calls.

His web site is http://www.dentalimplantcostarica.com/

It actually cost me about 30% of what I was quoted for the same work here in Stamford, CT.

Feel free to call me if you'd like.

Marty - (203)323-2097

North Hollywood...
3. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

Hi Bungysun,

I've been researching for a while and thanks to the help of the owners of CheTica Ranch (www.cheticaranch.com) I'm going for crowns and implants to Dr. Kaver, ( www.kaversmiles.com )he's the one who does all the Costa Rica beauty pageant girls and celebrities, I was quoted very good prices and I'm looking forward to my stay at the ranch, it looks like a wonderful place to stay and the owners have been very caring answering my thousand questions. Later, I found out that two of my California girlfriends, use both of them and absolutely loved the experience in both places.

Try them, you won't regret it!!

Jessica

Ohio
reviews: 19
4. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

I also stayed at Chetica Recovery Ranch after having cosmetic surgery at Rosenstock & Lieberman on July 31 2008. The Drs were wonderful, careful and meticulous. The Ranch was ideal for recovery. The people there were all friendly and helpful. I highly recommend you take some extra cash because they have a masseuse/ chiropractor, Magda, who is simply marvelous (20.00 for about 1 hour).

Chetica arranged for me to have a crown with Dr Karver (355.00 including Xray). Most doctors and dentists give a 5% discount for cash.

If you get a chance go to the Craftsman markets downtown a bus ride or 15 blocks away from Dr Karver. Great deals on wood products like salad bowls and cheese boards which sell for 3 and 4x the price at the airport.

Buy your coffee at the grocery store. Again, about 1/3 the price of the same ones at the airport.

Virginia
reviews: 2
5. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

My wife is currently having dental implants done by Dr. Lucas Gil, 506.288.6060 in Escazu, a suburb of San Jose. Dr. Gil graduated from U. of Indiana. His office has the latest equipment and is across the street from Costa Rica's newest and most modern hospital, Hospital Cima. There is a Marriott Courtyard a block from his office and there are numerous B&Bs and small hotels in Escazu and Santa Ana.

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 56
6. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

www.fountainsguesthouse.com Escazu

Great place for medical tourists have the inside skinny

on the best cost-effective clinics in Escazu great place to stay during your recovery.CIMA related dentists are safest choice.Choose wisely little

legal recourse in CR if things go south.

7. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:49 pm, August 28, 2008

chicago
8. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

Hello,

Thanks to all for the Great Information!

I'll be researching all of the information you have given me; and am planning my trip for Nov./ Dec. 08.

Any others willing to share, please contact me and tell me about your medical tourism trip. I'd love to hear more of your experiences.

Vermont
reviews: 4
9. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

Hi bungysun-

I'd love to hear who you decided on for your dental work. I'm starting the process of gathering info for my own: several crowns and maybe an implant.

Thanks,

timeless

10. Re: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 pm, August 02, 2010

Reply to: San Jose, Costa Rica--Considering Medical/Dental Tourism
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted